Backup mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so i am having a senior moment here......

Does anyone remember the thread....or remember the name of the mask....that was totally soft (not the lense of course) and would fit in a bcd pocket well as a back up mask???

The Shadow and Mini-Shadow..

thanks...i shall go forth with and pursue the purchase

Some of the new masks from Mares have very thin frames because the straps are attached to the silicone skirt of the mask amdking them suitable for compact storage as backup masks. This provides an alternative to the frameless masks.

OK...appreciate the help...now a dumb question....or is it really obvious....

what is the difference between a "shadow" and a "mini shadow"

RICHinNC once bubbled...
OK...appreciate the help...now a dumb question....or is it really obvious....

what is the difference between a "shadow" and a "mini shadow"

Hey guy ... despite what "they" say, size matters (they're just jealous! :) )

Seriously, the primary difference between the two masks I noticed was size - not just total volumne (they're both pretty low), but actual face size. When I tried the shadow on, it was bigger than my face, the mini-shadow fit just right... (Humm, must be a reverse law of nature ...) Can't remember for sure, but I also think the shadow was a glossy black and the mini-shadow was a mat black, but I may be remembering that wrong.

Bottom line, you gotta find an LDS or friend with them to try or know you may be sending one back.

~<//><

P.S. FYI, I liked my mini-shadow so much it's now my primary mask and I'll be getting another one to be my back-up soon. Also it totally fits rule #6!

That's how I understand it too, but I have not tried a regular Shadow. I got a mini-Shadow at my LDS after my mask took a solo quarry dive and was never seen again... I liked it so well that I bought another one on LP (about half the price my first one was) and carry it as a spare on the deeper stuff.

Well I agree with trying one out first...however....none of the shops in the area carry oceanic....and that seems to be the best deal going.

Since it is a "backup" mask...I am not all that worried about a perfect fit...but the comments on the mini being bigger than the non mini kinda has me in a quander...

i was ready to call lp and order the regular but now i am not too sure.

Back
Top Bottom