Backup Mask....HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I'm in serious need for a backup mask. I wear contact lenses and prefer to dive with them in, as I never wear glasses. I know if I lose my primary mask on a dive, I'm gonna be in trouble. I'm looking to get a back up mask to keep in a small pocket on my BC. I use the OMS IQ Pack and am going to add the mask pouch. I currently use the Cressi-Sub BigEyes. Can anyone help point me in the right direction as far as back up masks go? Are there any masks made specifically for this purpose? Also, I was thinking about using the BigEyes mask and getting a new primary. But I'm hearing about frameless masks and I don't think the Big Eyes is frameless. Someone help please...Thanx:boom:

The oceanic shadow is pretty well suited as a back up. It is small and frameless, yet because of its low volume it sits closer to your face, allowing you to see more. Anyway thats what I use, and like it alot.

Do you use it as a back up or primary? I'm kinda leaning towards using the Bigeyes as a back uo and getting a new primary.

Is the Bigeyes considered high volume?

I dive the Big Eyes or AGA as a primary, and use the minescule Dacor Bandit as a backup. Cressi has a comparable model, but with glass. The Bandit's plastic lenses scratch rather easily. Also, several friends of mine who tried it find it terribly claustrophobic. Have a look at them, they're very small.
:) Stefan

I have black ones, I don't like anything with a clear skirt because they altimately turn yellow. Plus black is cooler.

For the absolutely tiniest you can get, check out Cressi's Minima, it has the closest eye-lens distance on the market.
Sorta like spraying on a mask.:wink:
There are some really nice frameless clones on the market, some are even made at the same factory as the high price jobbies.
The single glass frameless has one of the lowest volume on the market (for a single window), and its little brother (for medium to narrow faces), a frameless 3-window is so flexible you can fold the sides in. (I was duely impressed)

OK I took a ride into the city and went to LP today. I tried on all th e Oceanic frameless masks and none of them fit comfortably. I then tried on the Scubapro Crystal Vu with clear skirt and it fits unbelievably. So now that answers my question about my back up. The Bigeyes is gonna get pouched til further notice......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom