Question Backup Computer with Buddy Team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you do a Tech dive with a buddy on a different deco plan than yourself? Is there no planning involved in this tech dive?

It depends on the buddy, the dive, and whether the differences are material.

If we have different gas mixes, PPO2 set point preferences, and GF settings, we'll compare our deco plans and then decide. Usually, we stick together following the most conservative schedule. That approach has never been an issue with my usual buds.

If there is a person who joins our team and insists on getting out of water earlier or diving a deco plan that is incompatible with ours, then that person is not our buddy. Plain and simple.

Plan the dive and dive the plan.
Any diver who do not agree with that is NOT welcome.
Why would a dive TEAM have different profile among themselves?

Plan the dive and dive the plan.
Any diver who do not agree with that is NOT welcome.
Why would a dive TEAM have different profile among themselves?

Consider two divers who have slightly different gasses appropriate for the dive or divers preferring different PPO2 set points when diving CC. These differences may impact deco schedules, but a good team will stick to the plan suitable for everyone. Teamwork is what matters here.

Still, it helps to be self-sufficient. That is why some people use 3 dive computers and cut deco tables.

This thread makes me think of my history in decompression diving.

Phase One: No computers. Plan and execute the dive using a bottom timer and Ratio Deco.
Phase Two: No computers. Plan the dive using deco software, making a written plan you intend to follow and two contingencies that you would use if they turned out to be closer to the reality of the dive.
Phase Three: Use the three plan method, but take a computer as backup.
Phase Four: Reverse Phase Three by following the computer and using the written plans as backup.
Phase Five: Two computers.

Comments on the history:
Phase One: when two friends on a team got bent, they were able to check the computer log of the one who used a computer in gauge mode. It showed that although they thought they had executed the dive perfectly, they had actually made several significant errors. Doing the math in their heads proved problematic, and one of them had a PhD in a math-related field.
Phase Two: A friend of mine related a story about a frightening experience in which circumstances put them in a far different situation than envisioned, and none of the contingencies were even close.
Phase Three: I only did this on dives in which I was tagging along with others using this method. At each stop, they did the stop as planned and then waited until the computer backup cleared them for the next level. After the dives, I asked whether they were actually following the written plan or the computer, and that led to a discussion.
Phase Four: That phase did not last long for me. I went to Phase Five pretty quickly. Once I realized that if I had decided that relying on a computer was the best choice for the primary source, then it must follow that I believed it was superior as a backup as well. Given the cost of everything else in tech, the cost of the second computer was not that big a deal.

Sounds like they didn’t execute the dive perfectly if they made significant errors but ok…

Sounds like they didn’t execute the dive perfectly if they made significant errors but ok…
Right.

They did not execute the dive perfectly, but they thought they did. The only reason they knew they had made mistakes was because they got bent and took a look at the log for the computer they had used in gauge mode. If they had made the same mistakes and not gotten bent, they would not have checked and ended the dive convinced they had done everything right.

The point I was making may be elusive. Many people openly claim that they never make such mental mistakes while diving, but they have no way of knowing if they do or not, unless their mistake is big enough and they have some alternative way of checking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom