Question Backup Computer with Buddy Team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i'm reading the eLearning for my first tech step, and of course there are two elements that keep be mentioned the use of a back up DC and team aspect. but i have a question regarding the need of a backup DC, i know that it saying that a tech diver has to be self reliant, but i was wondering would not be possible in case of DC failure, to follow your team deco schedule? therefor there is not need of two DCs

My thoughts on this would be if you became separated from the team. Used dive computers are cheap.

Always rely on your gear. Two computers configured to you liking are a lot better than trying to figure out how to use your buddies computer. While dive computers are fairly precise, discrepancies to happen. As you advanced in diving, you'll start dealing with things like decompression schedules which may be diver specific. Also, the proliferation of dive gear at relatively affordable prices makes it an easy decision.

In short, always know your dive plan and rely on your gear, even if you're diving with a competent buddy. No one else will swim, breathe, think, and survive for you.

Two computers configured to you liking are a lot better than trying to figure out how to use your buddies computer.
Why would anyone want to configure a buddy's dive computer? Have they lost consciousness? Just wondering...

Why would anyone want to configure a buddy's dive computer? Have they lost consciousness? Just wondering...

You are posting in the Tech Diving forum, so I presume you're going to get into decompression theory and so on. Imagine diving with specific decompression settings. You proved that these settings work for you. Your computer dies and you have to rely on your buddy's computer. What if your buddy's settings are more aggressive that yours? Do you dive according to those settings? Do you ask your buddy to change the settings? What if that person does not know how to do that or fumbles - brain fart?

Even if it is easy to adjust to your friend's DC, you're introducing an unnecessary complexity that may lead to another issue. Thus, your best bets are as follows:

- Get two computers. Stick with the same make/model.
- Learn how to use these computers and configure them identically.
- If you use an app like MultiDeco, ensure that the app's settings correspond to the computer settings.
- Write deco schedule on white electric tape and put the tape on your computer so you do not lose it. Use the table if the DC dies.
- Become familiar with your buddies computer just in case.

I am not sure what may be causing resistance to a second DC. If it is the money, then I hate to break it to you: tech diving is expensive.

i'm reading the eLearning for my first tech step, and of course there are two elements that keep be mentioned the use of a back up DC and team aspect. but i have a question regarding the need of a backup DC, i know that it saying that a tech diver has to be self reliant, but i was wondering would not be possible in case of DC failure, to follow your team deco schedule? therefor there is not need of two DCs
Backup computer isn’t needed.

You’d be two critical failures deep to need one. Lost your computer AND lost your buddy.

You should know your deco before you even start the dive. DC is for refinement only. You and your buddy did the same dive so you’ll have the same deco.

Backup computer isn’t needed.

You’d be two critical failures deep to need one. Lost your computer AND lost your buddy.

You should know your deco before you even start the dive. DC is for refinement only. You and your buddy did the same dive so you’ll have the same deco.
that's exactly what i was thinking

You are posting in the Tech Diving forum, so I presume you're going to get into decompression theory and so on. Imagine diving with specific decompression settings. You proved that these settings work for you. Your computer dies and you have to rely on your buddy's computer. What if your buddy's settings are more aggressive that yours?
Would you do a Tech dive with a buddy on a different deco plan than yourself? Is there no planning involved in this tech dive?

PS.
@Mario007 - if you think what PfcAJ wrote made sense, and consider team diving and team resources for tech diving rather than a solo mentality, you might want to look into GUE's tech training.

I think a backup depth gauge/timer is relatively innocuous and in certain environments I won't jump without one. The backup can be a second computer, a computer in gauge mode, or a bottom timer.

SE Florida with the gulf stream is a great place to have a backup.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom