• On my left wrist, so I have one on each wrist

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • In my pocket

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Does not apply, I use tables or use tables for backup

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I keep my backup on my buddy just like he keeps his backup on me. We both jump in with a pre-planned depth and time and any failure turns the dive. I suppose if we were to get into any kind of deco obligation we would write out some bail out plan on our slates and probably bring along a third computer between us but that’s what works for us.

Both on the right, I can check them out with one glance and not wave my light around in my left

Primary on right (usually CCR controller) backup and slate on left

Computer and bottom timer both on left wrist/forearm.

As an Instructor, I model what I teach my students. They're learning how to navigate and adjust buoyancy. I teach and practice, Compass (mechanical) on the left and Computer on the right wrist. I teach them to ALWAYS dive with a compass. Computer on the right allows them to adjust buoyancy with left hand (deflator/ inflator) while checking depth with their computer on the right.

I use 2 computers on every dive. Suunto D9 AI and a Petrel 2. Both are on the right arm. Compass (mechanical) is on the left. Why not use the Petrel's compass? Because I model to my students that they should have a compass on every Dive. Most of them are on inexpensive computers without a compass. Even if they do have a Perdix, a mechanical compass is still better and faster to use.

On an OC Tec dive, my configuration remains the same. Compass on left. D9 AI and Petrel on the right. Petrel is the primary set to 40/80 or 50/80. D9 is the backup and set to 50% RGBM (low conservatism). D9 is the get out of Dodge computer.

For OC: Primary-Perdix AI on left wrist, Petrel and watch on right wrist. Tables/slate in pocket.

For CC: ISC controller and secondary Petrel on left wrist, Hardwired Predator and watch on right wrist.

There are occasions when I’ll dive CC and OC on the same day, most likely I’ll dive CCR during the day, then dive OC for a blackwater drift dive that night. In those instances I rely on my Petrel as my OC primary, (it’s monitored my previous dives), and the Perdix becomes my SPG.

I do not do blackwater drifts on CCR for a few reasons: The creatures I’m shooting are almost all tiny and many are not bothered by exhaust bubbles. Depth changes occur frequently which makes proper PO2 monitoring and adjustment problematic. If I’m fortunate enough to find some tiny creature that will allow me to spend a few minutes photographing it, I prefer to concentrate on it and my camera, as opposed to monitoring my displays. Take your eyes off the subject for even a second or two, and there’s a good chance that you’ll never find it again. The local operators that I use for these dives suggest as common courtesy that dives are limited to a maximum of 90 minutes, and average depths are relatively shallow, thus a single cylinder is sufficient for the task at hand.

Primary on right (usually CCR controller) backup and slate on left
Computer and bottom timer both on left wrist/forearm.
IMO there is more to the question as stated above, should ask what is your backup and where do you keep it. I also have comp on right and my "backup" is set to guage mode on left along with my slate with dive plan on it. This is my reference not to solely trust and focus on my computer, and eliminate the conflict in deco settings (primary and backup different make / model).

IMO there is more to the question as stated above, should ask what is your backup and where do you keep it. I also have comp on right and my "backup" is set to guage mode on left along with my slate with dive plan on it. This is my reference not to solely trust and focus on my computer, and eliminate the conflict in deco settings (primary and backup different make / model).

if you have a computer that doesn't lock you out, especially if it is the same brand, then it shouldn't matter. If you leave it in gauge mode, now you have to carry tables with you as well so may as well just wear a watch

Primary on the left (controller), backup on the loop (NERD). But I think that the reason that wearing a computer on the right wrist was originally recommended was that it was easier to look at it if you were ascending and manipulating your wing/BC inflator hose above your head or your butt dump valve (both of which are usually on the left).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom