Backscatter strobe and snoot package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested to hear how it works out. If the reviews are good I may have to pick one up for "nudi season".

This would be fantastic for nudibranchs at Peirce Island. I'm hoping to order one soon!

Anyone take test shots in the house?

The flash looks really weak when not using the snood

Am I doing something wrong?

Have a call into backscatter and sent a video of the flash output

Dived with Jon last week. I ordered mine last night.
Here’s his report on using the MF-1 OS-1 combo.
Backscatter MF-1 & OS-1

Backscatter is sending me a call tag to correct the issue
They are sending me a new one but back ordered (few weeks)

I will post some in the studio pics later today comparing it to the S2000 and the Kraken 3000 ring flash.
Bill

Here are some shots taken in the studio. Diving Saturday here in Los Angeles, will test it out.
The setup is a Nauticam OM-D EM-1 Mark II in a Nauticam housing, shooting the Olympus 30 mm lens. The setup is shown below. The camera/housing is on a tripod. The camera settings were 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 250, F/18. The flashes were triggered by the Olympus Flash on the camera. The subject is a plastic nudibranch sitting on a piece of dichroic glass (I shoot this way a lot). The strobe diffuser is 18 cm from the center of the nudibranch.
setup.jpg

The First comparison is next.This shows the S2000 at -1.5 power compared to the Backscatter at power level 4
Comparison 1.jpg

The next is the S2000 at -1.0 compared to Backscatter at power level 5.
comparison 2 copy.jpg

The Final comparison is of the Backscatter at level 4 with the Kraken 3000
comp 4.jpg

My conclusions are that the Backscatter LED flash is comparable to the Inon S2000 but approximately one/half stop less bright at comparable settings assuming that the Inon at Full is compared to the BS mini at level 6.

The only other LED flash that I have access to is the Kraken 3000 which is usable but about a stop and a half less bright. I look forward to shooting the BS Saturday here in LA, hopefully the local nudibranchs will co-operate.
Bill

Here are some shots taken in the studio. Diving Saturday here in Los Angeles, will test it out.
The setup is a Nauticam OM-D EM-1 Mark II in a Nauticam housing, shooting the Olympus 30 mm lens. The setup is shown below. The camera/housing is on a tripod. The camera settings were 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 250, F/18. The flashes were triggered by the Olympus Flash on the camera. The subject is a plastic nudibranch sitting on a piece of dichroic glass (I shoot this way a lot). The strobe diffuser is 18 cm from the center of the nudibranch.View attachment 556154

The First comparison is next.This shows the S2000 at -1.5 power compared to the Backscatter at power level 4
View attachment 556157
The next is the S2000 at -1.0 compared to Backscatter at power level 5.View attachment 556160

The Final comparison is of the Backscatter at level 4 with the Kraken 3000
View attachment 556161

My conclusions are that the Backscatter LED flash is comparable to the Inon S2000 but approximately one/half stop less bright at comparable settings assuming that the Inon at Full is compared to the BS mini at level 6.

The only other LED flash that I have access to is the Kraken 3000 which is usable but about a stop and a half less bright. I look forward to shooting the BS Saturday here in LA, hopefully the local nudibranchs will co-operate.
Bill
Super helpful Bill, thanks so much. I will have virtually the same setup, except the 60mm v. The 30. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after your weekend dives.

Dove with it yesterday here in LA. Cold and a bit surgey but got some interesting stuff. Will post later today
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom