Backscatter strobe and snoot package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of prototype Backscatter MF-1 strobes which came home with me from DEMA. One of the things I like most about the strobes is the narrow beam angle which is ideal for macro and super macro. The narrow beam allows you to separate subject from background making subjects pop. I feel like the strobes have more than ample power for my shooting style. The attached photos were taken with a Sony A7R IV with Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 macro in an Aquatica housing.

All shot at ISO100, at F/16 and 1/125th sec. The MF-1 has six power levels and all photos are at the 4 or 5 power level. The Scorpionfish eye was shot with the OS-1 snoot using the smallest hole of four using the oval aperture card.

untitled-01618.jpg
untitled-01603.jpg
untitled-01600.jpg

I have a pair of prototype Backscatter MF-1 strobes which came home with me from DEMA. One of the things I like most about the strobes is the narrow beam angle which is ideal for macro and super macro. The narrow beam allows you to separate subject from background making subjects pop. I feel like the strobes have more than ample power for my shooting style. The attached photos were taken with a Sony A7R IV with Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 macro in an Aquatica housing.

All shot at ISO100, at F/16 and 1/125th sec. The MF-1 has six power levels and all photos are at the 4 or 5 power level. The Scorpionfish eye was shot with the OS-1 snoot using the smallest hole of four using the oval aperture card.

View attachment 557547 View attachment 557549 View attachment 557550
Phil, is 1 or 6 the maximum power level for the strobe?

With the lowest #1 power setting you can get excellent exposures in the ISO50 to 100 range at F/2.8 to F/4 for shallow depth of field with full frame.

The #6 setting was a bit too powerful for most of my needs but could be useful with the snoot. I need more time using the snoots before I have those settings dialed in.

What is the battery life like? Would I be able to use it on two dives without changing the battery? Assuming say 80 shots total? (I think that would be a max, but I'm off to Anilao)

I have been shooting 300+ images on a shallow water dive (2 1/2 hours plus) with plenty of power to spare with the focus lights on low power for the entire dive.

Backscatter claim like 1400 shots with a fresh battery. I have only shot about 200 in a day and the light showed full.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom