Backscatter strobe and snoot package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took mine out for a week on Blackbeard’s. The flash performed admirably and the battery life was stellar. Most, if any issues I had, were related to me. I did wish I had two units so I am contemplating getting an additional one for my trip to Bonaire next month.
F603BDC5-C7A9-4EAA-9072-81C95D61DD71.jpeg

I took mine out for a week on Blackbeard’s. The flash performed admirably and the battery life was stellar. Most, if any issues I had, were related to me. I did wish I had two units so I am contemplating getting an additional one for my trip to Bonaire next month.View attachment 562833
I have 2 but have not used it
Why 2?

Anyone have experience with using two of these for wide angle with a compact or APS-C camera? Any image samples?

Definitely considering these due to the snoot option. Other option would be one of these with a snoot + a larger strobe with higher power and beam angle for better fill in wide angle

I shot some CFWA with them, but for traditional WA, I don't expect them to be very useful.
Bill

Wondering whether to get the mini flash and snoot or the macro/wide 4300 dive light and snoot

olympus tg-6

thoughts?

If you're taking photos, get the flash; if you're taking videos, get the light. Yes, there is a place for constant lights in stills photography, and you can achieve some very neat creative effects with them, but it's a niche place - for the vast majority of shots, strobes beat constant lights by sheer power.

Good point and thanks for your insight.
I primarily photograph macro and my current sola 2500 yields 1/150 and iso 100.

So no slow shutter speeds or high iso.

To me, it seems, a dimmable wide and macro dive light is sufficient.

But I'm unsure and hence asking you guys and gals.

Snoots eat a lot of light. I use a Retra Pro with Retra LSD, and to maintain ISO 100 and f/22 (Sony A6300 with 90mm G macro lens), I have to crank the strobe up to full power. Even then, sometimes I have to bump the ISO up to 200, or open the aperture a little. In normal macro shooting, I rarely go above quarter power.

To be fair, I've never shot a TG-6, so it may behave differently, but my own experience going from constant lights (a pair of Archon D36Vs) to strobes (first a pair of SeaFrogs ST-100, then a pair of Retra Pros) was like night and day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom