Backroll entry and finning up onto boat - any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver recovery can be simple in a small boat even without a ladder. The normal "swarm orver the side" works well if you retain fins and do a bit of a bounce down to get a bit of velocity on the upside swim.

If that doesn't work simply attach an appropriately sized loop of line to a thwart, toss the loop overboard and use it as a single step ladder. That trick worked to reliably get a 350+ pound diver back on a 17' Boston Whaler a few years ago. I made over 50 dives with Walt and we never had a problem. If Walt couldn't turtle that Whaler getting back on, a little size 16 should be no sweat on a larger boat.

FT

Neve

I don't think you'll find either entry or exit a problem.

When we dived off Phuket in January all local diving was off a longtail. Back roll entry is easy. All your equipment on, regulator in, one hand on reg and mask, other hand holding console and octo and then fall off the log. We used to do two together on opposite sides of the boat to avoid unbalancing it.

As for getting back on, hand weightbelt and mask to crew member, and remove BCD having first inflated it enough to have positive buoyancy. Both hands on side of boat at lowest point and then pull yourself up a couple of times to get momentum and then duck down and pull up hard, finning as hard as you can at the same time. this should get you on the boat. With practice you can twist and finish sitting on the side of the boat - 10 out of 10 for style marks if you get that good!

Regards

I believe there was an article in a magazine last month (probably Dive Training) that gave very simple instructions and accompanying photos of getting back in a small boat without a ladder.

It was very informative, and as I am someone who has never had to get back on a boat without the use of a ladder, useful information to store away for later.

Originally posted by Welshman
Neve

I don't think you'll find either entry or exit a problem.

When we dived off Phuket in January all local diving was off a longtail. Back roll entry is easy. All your equipment on, regulator in, one hand on reg and mask, other hand holding console and octo and then fall off the log. We used to do two together on opposite sides of the boat to avoid unbalancing it.

As for getting back on, hand weightbelt and mask to crew member, and remove BCD having first inflated it enough to have positive buoyancy. Both hands on side of boat at lowest point and then pull yourself up a couple of times to get momentum and then duck down and pull up hard, finning as hard as you can at the same time. this should get you on the boat. With practice you can twist and finish sitting on the side of the boat - 10 out of 10 for style marks if you get that good!

Regards

That's about what I do.... though as I don't think I'll ever be stylish enough to get 10, I tend to yell up "help the beaching whale" --- with much laughter (including me)... what I haven't been able to haul up and into the boad, I've got a whole bunch of new intimate friends hauling me in..... I still laugh over some of the landings I've had.

Originally posted by neve
Uh-oh....

thanks for reminding me about the vomiting part... that's another major worry. OK I admit, I'm a natural born worrier :(

I'm mildly consoled, however, by the fact that all five of us who are going on the trip have never done the backroll entry and fin up exit.

Hey. Ain't it strange?? Only type of entry I've done outwith pool is backroll. So that's all I know. On my certification dives in Mauritius we took a boat out beyond the reef. When the instructor told me it was a backroll I had a mild panic. He explained what to do, however, and it is really as simple as others have said. My biggest problem - only the first time - was getting up on the edge of the boat. It was only about a foot or so above the bench we were sitting on but trying to get up and steady when the boat's rocking wasn't that easy all kitted up. Luckily there were some great guys on the boat who helped me. After that it was fine.

And getting back up was ok cos there was a small ladder - though it was quite tough given the waves. WE had to hold onto ropes on the side of the boat, take off fins, weights and BCD, then climb up. Not the most elegant but the main thing is to get up, right??

Don't worry - you'll be fine, i'm sure.

I got my fins and booties out last night, will be in the pool first thing tomorrow morning. A friend is going to sit on a rubber raft in the pool and I'm going to attempt to climb in. Kind of embarassing, so we're doing it early (5am!). We don't want nosy neighbours to see! :D

Wish me luck, guys!

you are probaly in the pool trying to get into that rubber boat. I'm wishing you lots of luck and also wishing someone was there to video tape the whole operation!!

Anyways I hope it worked out and I hope you had fun!!

that gives me plenty of time to get to your location with my handy dandy video camera!!! I know we would win the $10,000 prize. Just hink of the diving we could do with that money!!!

think not hink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom