Backplate weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all. I’m looking at buying one of FredT’s 3/16” (9 pound) SS backplates and heavy (5 pound) STA’s for cold water diving (Monterey, CA) with an Oxycheq 45 pound signature series wing. I’m currently diving a 7mm + 7mm farmer John with rental Al 80 single tank, but I’m planning to eventually move to a dry suit, then steel single tank, and eventually move to doubles as I progress to more technical and/or wreck diving. I’m looking for a backplate that will accommodate all of these configurations (with a different wing when I get doubles). Is the 9 pound backplate too heavy for use with doubles? Should I buy the 11 gauge (6 pound) backplate instead, and just wear more weight on the weight belt or other pouches for now?

Thanks,
John

I'd get a DSS plate with the additional weight plates (13 pounds total). You can take them on and off really easily so it's like getting a standard plate and a heavy plate in one. Great design!

Plus other nice features like the delrin-covered webbing slots.

I second the DSS plate for the same reasons.

I agree that the DSS is a nice plate, but it's an expensive way to go. If I buy the plate and the weight plates, and then an STA in order to use a non-DSS wing it's significantly more expensive than a FredT plate.

Consider this, I dive a DiveRite SS plate with no STA, just cam bands.

LG Diver:
I agree that the DSS is a nice plate, but it's an expensive way to go. If I buy the plate and the weight plates, and then an STA in order to use a non-DSS wing it's significantly more expensive than a FredT plate.

So use a DSS wing. I'm convinced there's no better singles wing out there. Then you don't have the PITA of an STA and you get the package price.

There are vendors who can beat the MSRP for DSS gear, too. It may not be as expenive as you think. Drop me a PM if you want info.

In any event, it may be worth a little more to you for the flexibility. Otherwise, you may need two plates, so compare apples to apples...

Good luck :D

LG Diver:

Do you already have the Oxycheq wing? I'm sure you know this already, but no STA is necessary with the DSS singles wing.

Edit: How did you type all that faster than my short blurb, Humu? Damnit!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I'd get a DSS plate with the additional weight plates (13 pounds total). You can take them on and off really easily so it's like getting a standard plate and a heavy plate in one. Great design!

Plus other nice features like the delrin-covered webbing slots.

Gee thanks guys. Minor point though. The webbing slots are overmolded with a elastomeric (rubbery) thermoplastic that's a blend of polypro and natural rubber. We use a pretty stiff grade, 87 shore D, but it still has a little "give" Delrin is essentially ridgid.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom