Backplate Harness Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satori

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I finally converted to a bp/w setup. I am very satisfied with how my new setup performs/trims out when I dive. My only difficulty is figuring out how tight the shoulder straps should be. I have a HOG style continuous webbing harness. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Loose enough that you can get out in a flash, but tight enough that the rig doesn't flop all over the place.
I get out the chicken wing method, it works the best and the fastest for me.

Good advice here...

Also with ZKY's comments: Often new BP&W owners rig their straps way too tight. There's a lot of technique that goes into the ease of donning and doffing of the rig. Remember when you are putting it on/taking off you are fighting against gravity.

It's hard to explain in words... are you diving next week? I can show you in 5 mins how easy it is :)

One way you can get an idea of how to set the straps on dry land is to put the rig on (with a tank attached) with a heavy jacket on to simulate the bulk of a wetsuit or drysuit. Back up to a table or workbench and set the bottom of the tank on the edge of the bench or table and let all the weight off. this will simulate the rig underwater with no gravity pulling it down. To start off I would suggest just enough room that you can slide your hand underneath the shoulder strap and push your arm out so the strap slides down your forearm and off your elbow. You might need to reach over with the other hand first and pull away the strap by the d-ring, then you can chicken wing your way right out.

Thanks for all of the advice.

There is a ton of good reading here. Just do a search for "backplate" and check the different articles.

There is also an interesting article dealing with the weight of gases (under a "weight" search) in which the author ran the numbers with examples to create tables showing full and 500# weights in various tanks if anyone is interested.

Good find.

Back
Top Bottom