backplate bc advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yea,

It's DIR Tech Black too..... :wink:

Hi, did anyone ever used other wings on a Halcyon BP, other than the original "Pioneer" or "Eclipse" wings? :wink:

And what is the types/brands of your wings? :06:

Thank you in advance, for enlightening me. Want to know more before investing in one of these BP/Wing.........

divenut2001:
Why did you sell your Halcyon? I too am trying to decide on a BP/W and narrowed it down to the Dive Rite or Halcyon.
I dove both and didn't think the Halcyon was significantly better than the dive rite.
I noticed no difference in drag and felt the Dive Rite was more durable. There was a substancial difference in price also. So I dumped the Halcyon and bought a second Dive Rite which my son uses. I am value oriented and not hung up on the latest and greatest marketing spiels. Good luck with your purchase.

kityip:
Hi, did anyone ever used other wings on a Halcyon BP, other than the original "Pioneer" or "Eclipse" wings? :wink:

And what is the types/brands of your wings? :06:

Thank you in advance, for enlightening me. Want to know more before investing in one of these BP/Wing.........

Oxycheq wings work with the Halcyon BP. I really like their "signature" series.

I've been looking at the BP/W discussion for a while while thinking of taking the plunge, and am thinking of either hammerhead or the DSS setup. Still torn though, and I guess I want more feedback.

On one hand, I like the flat streamlined profile of the DSS plate with the LCD 30 wing, and the webbing grommets look nice. This seems very compact, but someone mentioned that I want the air to be able to move across the bottom as well, so a donut wing is better?

On the other, the hammerhead plate has something about it (besides the model :eyebrow: ) that makes it appear more comfortable for bareback diving, like in the FL Keys. It just seems that those folds at the bottom would make it less likely to dig into the back near the hips. Can anyone speak from experience on this?

I guess I'm looking for feedback from experienced plate users. Is the DSS "flatter plate" something significant to consider? Are there any reasons the compact-looking DSS LCD30 wing cannot be used with the other plate? Is a donut-style wing better? Do the bottom folds of the hammerhead make a real difference in comfort? Can they both work STA-less (I may actually want an STA for weight, but I'd like the choice, so being able to secure a tank sufficiently without one would be nice)?

I use a Fred T Heavy with DR Rec Wing for doubles up to Faber 85's; DR aluminum with DR Classic for 95's & larger. I don't like and don't use a BP/W with singles of any size.
S

radinator:
Do the bottom folds of the hammerhead make a real difference in comfort? Can they both work STA-less (I may actually want an STA for weight, but I'd like the choice, so being able to secure a tank sufficiently without one would be nice)?

Here's a thread that discusses bottom folds (and the flatter design of the DSS plate): backplate HURTS!

I have a Hammerhead plate, and am quite happy with it. One of the reasons I purchased it was how reasonable in price it was, especially when combined with their STA. It does have cam slots cut into the plate, so if you want to dive without an STA, you have the option.

That said, if I was going to buy a complete kit, I would seriously consider the DSS rig as well. There has been a lot of good things said about the plate and wing on the board.

Here's a review that NWGratefulDiver has on the DSS wing: BP+Wing Mating Questions

Does anyone know what pack plate pad will work for a hammerhead plate?

Personally, I think the backplate "paks" are a waste of money. I sold mine.

ScottZeagle:
Would you care to elaborate on that statement? I am sincerely interested in your (and others) opinions, and would hope that you have reasons to back up your statement. As a moderator, I think telling people to "avoid" a product is a pretty strong statement without elaborating.

I have heard the argument that we don't make a wing that some would prefer (which we are seriously looking into to), but can you tell me what is "not that great" about our BP compared to others??

Zeagle has always been a company that valued the input of the people who actually USE the products, so anyone should feel free to post or PM me with ideas for improvement to our lines.

Scott

I looked at some of the Zeagle Tec's before I ended up with a slightly used Eclipse 40 from Halcyon recently. Now I've gotten used to the slick front of my body when I'm diving, and I would never go back to an "ordinary" BCD-vest, or anything like it. My only complain now is that I'm still not used to getting the thing off. But then I wear 7 mm neoprene drysuit and a heavy 12 litre 300 bar steel long-tank. One quick buckle could be mounted on one of the straps pretty soon if I decide for it...

Why won't you Zeagle guys make something that looks and wears just as slick as the backplate/web/wing solutions from Halcyon or Oxychec?

By the way, I appreciate the massive quality of your Zeagle BCD's! I just find it to be too much "stuff" on it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom