Backplate and Wing Round Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We get lots of questions everyday from customers all over the world about setting up the perfect backplate and wing system. I'm sure there are many people that never voice any of those questions, and I think it's time to help bring those questions to the surface to help make the perfect selection for their dives.

Well, thru the power of Scubaboard, let's get some Q&A going for people! Don't be afraid, ask questions about Manufacturers, about set up, about singles vs. doubles, about new BP/W Systems, about your current system. Bring on the questions!

Only 1 rule stands for this thread....no question is a dumb question. If you can't give a positive answer, just give the answer to the voices in your head and not the keyboard.

So, let's start with the first questions!

Are you thinking about a BP& W? What questions do you have about them?

I'm thinking of switching to a BP/W and the Halcyon system looks pretty slick, but is it worth the extra cost?
Will having or not having the cinch quick adjust really affect my BP/W experience?
Can the cinch fit on other backplates?

Halcyon is nice. I would buy used if you can. A backplate won't go bad and if you have to replace it, a new harness is pretty cheap.

The halcyon cinch needs special mounting holes. Other brands have other versions of a cinch / quick adjust system.

Last edited:
the halcyon cinch can be easily mounted on the scubapro backplate (as I did succesfully) - they are near identical - the same factory do them for SP and Halcyon - even the bends.

I'm thinking of switching to a BP/W and the Halcyon system looks pretty slick, but is it worth the extra cost?
Will having or not having the cinch quick adjust really affect my BP/W experience?
Can the cinch fit on other backplates?

I actually won a Halcyon Infinity 40 this fall (actually at DRIS' underwater pumpkin carving). It was nearly impossible for me to tighten the shoulder straps on my Hollis Elite 2 harness. Someone always had to do it for me. The Halcyon Cinch is very nice and allows me to gear up with very little help. I'd consider it worth the money just for that.

Halcyon is nice. I would buy used if you can. A backplate won't go bad and if you have to replace it, a new harness is pretty cheap.

The halcyon cinch needs special mounting holes. Other brands have other versions of a cinch / quick adjust system.
What other brands have a quick adjust?

I bought my first BP used and it came with the Halcyon cinch system. In truth I never really used the quick adjust once I had the harness adjusted correctly. I'm not particularly limber or flexible, but I rarely have any trouble donning or doffing the harness without the cinch. The extra stuff that goes along the waist belt made it harder to use quick-release weight pockets, so I recently removed the entire cinch system. I don't miss it. YMMV, especially if you have limited shoulder mobility.

The extra stuff that goes along the waist belt made it harder to use quick-release weight pockets, so I recently removed the entire cinch system.

I'm not a big fan of Halcyon cinch system, nevertheless I have quick release weight pockets installed with it. They are just connected to the backplate with the short, rigid, webbing pieces, while the standard webbing passes behind the pockets, through the slot made for it.

Anyway, if you can do without the cinch, stay like that: the cinch is supposed to be effective when you change from a weitsuit to a drysuit, or, when different people should use the same harness, regardless their size.

Weight belt over crotch strap or under?

Is it possible to add a vent valve to the wing near the right shoulder?

Back
Top Bottom