Backplate and Wing Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive mainly tropical and travel (fly) a lot for dive trips. I have 2 BP, 1 is a Aluminum backplate I use for local dives and for travel, I have a DSS kydex. the light weight BP is fantastic as most budget airlines have very strict restrictions on baggage weight. I share wings between the 2 BPs and have no problems with that.

Halcyon, DSS, Golem, OxyCheq, HammerHead..... you couldn't go wrong with any of these.

I dive this: an Al HammerHead BP (w their hog harness)
an OxyCheq STA
an Oxycheq 30# Mach V wing
two small XSscuba weight pockets that I threaded onto the harness

When using my favorite Akona 1mm full suit.... I use only a little more than 4lbs of lead (5lbs if I ate beans the night before). What a sweet rig this is to dive!

Why don't you go over to Island Divers on Hickam? They are a Halcyon dealer as well as a GUE shop. Great group of guys. We dove with them awhile back. Their shop is small but has all the essentials.

I didnt know IDH had all that stuff in their shop. I will stop by there and try some stuff on to see what its like. i know Matt and Jo and few other guys over there and they are a really great group of guys.

Thank you all for the great info. I am going with Oxycheq for everything. I am still going over there to try that stuff on to see the difference, but going to give it a shot. Thanks for all the great info and I will post here when I start diving it. Please keep the thread going with what type of BP/W you dive. I like seeing the different styles.

I have a diverite deluxe harness and an oxycheq 30# mach v wing. the wing kicks ass. it is so small and streamlined yet gives plenty of lift when required.

I would however get a hog harness instead of a deluxe harness.

oh and the "have separate wings for singles and doubles" is a very sound argument.

i suggest using the SB search for LOTS of thread that will answer most of the questions in your OP.

Why the Hog harness over the deluxe?

Why the Hog harness over the deluxe?

No chest strap to do up/fail. Thats pretty much the main reason. Due to the pivot rings on the deluxe harness the whole thing becomes fairly unstable if the chest strap is undone.

IMHO the Freedom plate is more ergonomic than any other metal BP's in the market. If they could be mass produced, and were sold by Tobin... that would rock.

This is kind of a strange post.

I do appreciate the straight forward and accurate description of the Freedom Plate, and I understand wanting the plate mass produced (very difficult to do BTW),
but then why would you want Tobin to sell the plate???
I'm the one who makes the Freedom Plate not Tobin.

Could you please explain this.

Eric

Just got a fantastic deal on an AL Transplate/harness/Oxycheq Mach V 30# Extreme from Scubatoys. Very easy to deal with and great prices with discounts for Scubaboard members. I wasn't going to go with the Extreme due to money but they had/have some of the STA-less models without roll control they need to get rid of and the price couldn't be passed up. Highly recommend Larry/Joe at Scubatoys.

Eric, Tobin has a broader and more established sales channel. That's the only reason I suggest it.

DS

Oxycheq is the way to go, especially with the Mach V Extreme 30 lb. wing and one-piece Hog harness.

Back
Top Bottom