Backplate and Wing Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another satisfied Deep Sea Supply customer here. Like others have said, if you give Tobin a call he will talk your ear off but clearly explain the advantages and disadvantages of different setups, wings, etc. and based on his opinion make sure you are getting what you need.

I dive an OMS IQ Pack with a 95# bungeed wing. I love it.

I have a diverite deluxe harness and an oxycheq 30# mach v wing. the wing kicks ass. it is so small and streamlined yet gives plenty of lift when required.

I would however get a hog harness instead of a deluxe harness.

oh and the "have separate wings for singles and doubles" is a very sound argument.

i suggest using the SB search for LOTS of thread that will answer most of the questions in your OP.

Why don't you go over to Island Divers on Hickam? They are a Halcyon dealer as well as a GUE shop. Great group of guys. We dove with them awhile back. Their shop is small but has all the essentials.

/me jump
BANDWAGON

For singles-rigs.. I have both DSS and the one with the "H"..
the DSS design/quality/durability is superior.

I also have/like the Oxycheq Razor doubles-wing.. very sleek.

Maybe Sherm will give me a good deal on a Mach V :D

Why don't you go over to Island Divers on Hickam? They are a Halcyon dealer as well as a GUE shop. Great group of guys. We dove with them awhile back. Their shop is small but has all the essentials.
IDH does have great staff :)
And, they just invested in a full set of BP/W's for use by all their new OW students.
The Jedi Academy is now fully operational :D

Got Aqualung's Apek WTX and backplate and happy with it.

Not all plates are the same, my first plate had very sharp edges. I had to take a grinder to it so it wouldn't cut up everything it came in contact with. However after I was done it is still working fine and hasn't cut my dry suit. I would post the name, but I can't remember what it is. If your not good with a grinder watch out for that. Other than that you will be happy with your move.
Happy diving,
Plumb

Get a Hammerhead plate they are inexpensive. Oxycheq makes awesome wings. There is also Golem Gear too. I just missed their Xmas sale which was unbelievable.

Anything you go with will be the right decision.

IMHO the Freedom plate is more ergonomic than any other metal BP's in the market. If they could be mass produced, and were sold by Tobin... that would rock.

Back
Top Bottom