backplate and wing for side mount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to transform my backplate to side mount when needed. I don't really want to drop another grand into dive gear. I have enough regulators, hoses and gauges to set up the breathing portion. looking for a cheaper alternative then all new gear to the BC portion of my Kit..(note, i will not make side mount my primary setup, just on occasion)
If you're not willing to invest in a proper sidemount rig, then dive backmount. Sidemount works for all types of diving IF you are properly trained in it. If not, you can cobble something together and put yourself at serious risk.
Sidemount is not something for the untrained to put together from bits and pieces. Experience sidemount divers can do this. I've built two custom rigs around actual sidemount wings.
The parts are available. But, you need to know what you are doing.
At the time I built my rigs I had been teaching sidemount for a couple of years and had experience with 7 different systems. And I had a few hundred sidemount dives.
Why do you think you'll need to sidemount? That's the question you should be asking and if it turns out you truly require a sidemount configuration, get the training, get a proper rig, and get a couple hundred dives in with before trying to jury rig something.

Back
Top Bottom