backpacking, what to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm backpacking in Costa Rica and Nicaragua next week. This is my first time backpacking and I have know idea how to pack my pack. What should I take? Obviously I need to pack light. I'm taking my lycra skin and hood, my 1mm neoprene hood and mask/snorkel. I guess I'll have to rent fins if I want to snorkel. We'll be diving one or two days, plan to rent everything. Sounds like the dives are shallow so not worried about taking my computer. (it's part of my octopus/regulator anyway so no way I'm carrying that). What about other necessaties? I'll take a small shampoo, medications in a baggy rather than the big containers,a large suncreen and a good hat. Insect repellent in a small container. What else? I usually way overpack so this will be a challenge. I just know I'll leave without something I wish I had, or I'll have a pack too heavy for me to lift. Need someone with major travel/backpack experience to help me with suggestions.

Ten essentials: Map, compass, light, extra food, extra clothes, sunglasses, first-aid, pocket knife, firestarter, matches; to which I would add water treatment, signaling device, & bug repellent. All that helps you survive being lost in the woods an extra few days.

Have fun!

Are you going just for one week? Easy then.

First Aid, needles kit (but put this in your check-in luggage).

Rain gear

Mosquito repellent - if going into the woods, sunblock

Keep clothing to a minimum - two all-purpose T-shirts, one pair of bottoms, sufficient undergarments and socks and a fleece top if evenings get cold.

If you're going for a longer duration, just increase the quantity.

Also, I've found for longer trips to out-of-the way places, I always regretted not having packed enough Tampax.

Have a great trip

tracydr:
I'm backpacking in Costa Rica and Nicaragua next week. This is my first time backpacking and I have know idea how to pack my pack. What should I take? Obviously I need to pack light. I'm taking my lycra skin and hood, my 1mm neoprene hood and mask/snorkel. I guess I'll have to rent fins if I want to snorkel. We'll be diving one or two days, plan to rent everything. Sounds like the dives are shallow so not worried about taking my computer. (it's part of my octopus/regulator anyway so no way I'm carrying that). What about other necessaties? I'll take a small shampoo, medications in a baggy rather than the big containers,a large suncreen and a good hat. Insect repellent in a small container. What else? I usually way overpack so this will be a challenge. I just know I'll leave without something I wish I had, or I'll have a pack too heavy for me to lift. Need someone with major travel/backpack experience to help me with suggestions.

Assume all your clothes will get wet, so pack appopriately for still being warm/ drying quickly. More importantly, have you broken in your boots properly? Lots of high quality socks, including liner socks. Bring plenty of Spenco second skin (like mole skin but works on blisters) and use it the minute you get a hot spot. There are tons of backpacking sites for general lists of what you will need to actually pack.

tracydr:
You haven't provided much information about where you will be going, or staying nights, etc.

In any case, hydration is always critical, and I would carry a collapsible reservoir with a drinking tube in my backpack, and be careful about what you put in it. (Something like a Platypus or CamelBak.)

You won't need a lot of clothes, but you may be miserable with wet feet, so I would carry extra socks. A light jacket and lightweight long pants, especially if you are going to be in places that get cold at night; if you can find something light and quick drying that will also help keep you dry if caught in the rain, that would be best. I would generally favor stuff that dries easily and quickly. A light hat to keep the sun off your head and face (some things like this you may want to buy when you get there, if you will have time before heading out).

A flashlight. Something to read.

Louie and the others have some good suggestions. I like to do extended backpacking/diving trips (2-3 months) through different regions of the world when time and money permit.

I tend to underpack with respect to clothing and then purchase clothing locally as I travel. It allows me to dress in clothes which draw less attention to myself, in clothes that are most appropriate to the local weather, and to bring souvenirs home with me without overburdening my backpack capacity!

I do take my own underwear, and wash them regularly in fresh water as I travel. Don't remember ever doing a load of laundry while traveling. This allows 3-4 pieces to last a long time.

As a photographer/videographer, the critical things are my battery chargers, film/CF cards/mini-DV tapes, etc. Most everything else I can buy along the way.

Keep in mind that I backpack in areas that are frequented by travelers (dive areas) and I often have access to basic creature comforts if I need them. If you're going off into the bush, this will greatly affect your needs vs my own.

Dr. Bill

Louie:
Are you going just for one week? Easy then.

First Aid, needles kit (but put this in your check-in luggage).

Rain gear

Mosquito repellent - if going into the woods, sunblock

Keep clothing to a minimum - two all-purpose T-shirts, one pair of bottoms, sufficient undergarments and socks and a fleece top if evenings get cold.

If you're going for a longer duration, just increase the quantity.

Also, I've found for longer trips to out-of-the way places, I always regretted not having packed enough Tampax.
Have a great trip
Sounds like the right idea. We'll be staying in hostels so a towel is probably a good idea too. I'll skip makeup but sunscreen is an absolute must. (I'm practically albino and we'll mainly be coastal). Any dive necessaties that I can't rent? I'm so used to traveling heavy and bringing my diving bag with all equipment/misc.
Sounds perfect. I think I'll add tylenol and a few other meds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom