Backpack-style gear bag for carrying gear from car to beach or boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got that mares mesh deluxe bag you mention. I think it works great, and is very comfortable.

It does have padded shoulder straps and a sternum buckle. I generally carry in it my back plate and 55lb wing, regulator, mask, booties, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, gloves, weights (if I'm using them). The mesh portion is rubberized and so it doesn't stay wet long (if it's not full of a wet wetsuit). I've hauled mine around to nearly 100 dives now. If it were to break in some way, I'd probably get another just like it.

It also has a handle to carry from the top or from the side like a regular duffel bag.

I bought mine from Amazon because it's $40 and my LDS wanted $110!

5apazegu.jpg

y4utypyb.jpg

Have it your way. Your logo, your name, your colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Www.mysplashbag.com

I dunno about the Mares Bag you describe but my Mares mesh backpack style is still going strong after 15 years. This new one looks even heartier. Though I must admit, now I'm wanting the bag described as having the sidezip option. Now I'll be watching for THAT one.

I just use a military surplus kit bag not a back pack. They are cheap, heavy duty, semi water proof, will carry everything on your list and do not advertise what is inside. They fold flat to take on trips, can be filled with water to soak your gear after a dive, it can be used as a lift bag, I have filled one with rocks and used it as an anchor while kayak diving.

KitBag.jpg

I dunno about the Mares Bag you describe but my Mares mesh backpack style is still going strong after 15 years. This new one looks even heartier. Though I must admit, now I'm wanting the bag described as having the sidezip option. Now I'll be watching for THAT one.

That mares bag has a side zipper, I just usually don't use it.

I'm looking for a backpack-style gear bag for carrying gear from car to beach or boat. I'm not looking to check it with an airline or carry it onboard a plane. If the bag folds down and packs flat for taking with me in a suitcase, great. But my #1 use will be local.

The shoulder straps should be comfortable with all the dive gear loaded.

The bag should be able to hold (for one diver) a 7mm wetsuit, hood, vest, steel backplate, wings, booties, gloves, fins, regulators, and accessories, such as mask, dive computer, compass, and so on. Oh, and a towel too.

I assume that I would wear the weight belt with weights, rather than pack it in the bag and stress the stitching and the wearer (me).

I started looking at mesh bags, but a post in another thread suggested that maybe a more conventional backpack would also work. So I would be open to suggestions on that score.

I also would like hand grips so that the bag doesn't have to be handled by the straps, say, when trying to hand the bag from pier to boat.

Right now, I'm looking online at the following bags (haven't seen any of them in person):

XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Backpack (BG320)

Stahlsac Panama Mesh Backpack

Stahlsac Bonaire Mesh Backpack

Mares Cruise Backpack Mesh Deluxe Bag​

If anyone has any experience with these, pro or con, I'd like to hear it.

If there is something in particular that you like about your gear bag (whether or not on the list above), I'd like to hear it.

How far are you carrying this bag? I've been around the world and if you're at a resort of some kind, you usually don't carry your gear very far. Beach diving in Bonaire is an exception, some of the hikes are steep and long but it's easier to boat dive those anyway. With a personalized bag, your name and your logo, it's not as likely to be lifted. (Just talking about the bag, not stuff in the bag)
y7e2aby3.jpg
y2abegu5.jpg

Carlton Adams. www.MySplashBag.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom