Backpack-style gear bag for carrying gear from car to beach or boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a backpack-style gear bag for carrying gear from car to beach or boat. I'm not looking to check it with an airline or carry it onboard a plane. If the bag folds down and packs flat for taking with me in a suitcase, great. But my #1 use will be local.

The shoulder straps should be comfortable with all the dive gear loaded.

The bag should be able to hold (for one diver) a 7mm wetsuit, hood, vest, steel backplate, wings, booties, gloves, fins, regulators, and accessories, such as mask, dive computer, compass, and so on. Oh, and a towel too.

I assume that I would wear the weight belt with weights, rather than pack it in the bag and stress the stitching and the wearer (me).

I started looking at mesh bags, but a post in another thread suggested that maybe a more conventional backpack would also work. So I would be open to suggestions on that score.

I also would like hand grips so that the bag doesn't have to be handled by the straps, say, when trying to hand the bag from pier to boat.

Right now, I'm looking online at the following bags (haven't seen any of them in person):

XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Backpack (BG320)

Stahlsac Panama Mesh Backpack

Stahlsac Bonaire Mesh Backpack

Mares Cruise Backpack Mesh Deluxe Bag​

If anyone has any experience with these, pro or con, I'd like to hear it.

If there is something in particular that you like about your gear bag (whether or not on the list above), I'd like to hear it.

The issue with any of the listed backpacks will be "carrying comfort". Well designed backpacking packs have padded shoulder straps, a waist belt that easily transfers load to your hips and legs and a sternum strap. The listed bags are designed to stow a decent amount of "awkwardly sized" wet scuba gear but not not necessarily to transport it over a long distance......so that becomes the key question IMO. How far do you intend to walk/hike with your scuba gear ?? If it's more than a kilometre, or a lot of up/downhill is involved I'd suggest considering a conventional backpacking pack. The drawback to this is that you'll be in a different price range. I use my Imlay canyoneering pack to carry my scuba gear, but we're talking a price of almost $250 US. It's designed for the wet, sandstone canyons of Utah and the Colorado Plateau so is rugged, durable and drains easily. I probably wouldn't have purchased something quite this expensive to just carry my scuba gear but it gives you an idea of what is available in the higher end of packs.

Canyoneering Pack Designs: Packs & Backpacks from Imlay Canyon Gear
Canyoneering USA Store

You can certainly get a comfortable conventional backpack without some of the canyoneering specific features like mesh "drains" for less money. Check out the REI website or MEC in Canada for options.

If anyone has any experience with these, pro or con, I'd like to hear it.

If there is something in particular that you like about your gear bag (whether or not on the list above), I'd like to hear it.

I have a Stahlsac (not sure which of those it is), and I love it. It's perfect for this, incredibly durable (Stahlsac means "steel bag" in German, I think!). great for hauling wet gear, even has a built in dry bag compartment. Very comfortable shoulder straps. Also has side handles for quick carrying, and a side zipper so that you can side load or top load as needed. I even fill it with laundry at the end of a trip and check it as baggage, with no problem...

Don't know about those backpacking style backpacks. I guess for LONG hikes, having that sort of support might be beneficial, but a mesh bag is much better for keeping wet gear in for any length of time.

Mike

I have the Stahlsac Panama and for a modest priced backpack style bag it's great. It is not setup for hauling heavy gear for long distances and for your listed gear it may be a tight fit. The reason I no longer use it is that loading and unloading was a bit of a pain and I only really needed it for short distances so the backpack feature was not really needed. I now use a duffle style bag. Much easier to load, unload and find gear in the bag.

If you did end up with the backpack style I recommend giving a lot of thought to the order you plan to load and unload the gear. First in, last out.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 12:25 PM ----------

Just read doctormike's post. The style with a side zipper would be great. I didn't know that was an option.

Last edited:
Have you looked at heavy duty duffle bags like the Northface or Deep Outdoors? I have a large size Northface that I use for all my air travel. It has shoulder backpack straps which I used to make my way thru airports and buses if I need to. If you load it right with your wet suit on top it provides a softer cushion area at your back. I end up packing the maximum 50 pounds of scuba gear and clothing into it fairly easy. I travel with a 5mm full wet suit and back plate and everything else you listed so the only limiting factor might be the length of your fins. The next size up XL would be over kill for the amount of gear you mention. I don't think the mesh options will last as long as PVC.

Nice thing about the Bonaire is the inside pocket stays dry. I've had the same Tilos bag for 10 years. This looks like a newer model than mine: http://www.amazon.com/Tilos-Backpack-Scuba-Diving-Snorkeling/dp/B00654P9OW The entire bag folds into the pocket for transport. After the first few years the drawstring wouldn't stay tight so I just tie a single knot in it now. 420 Denier nylon is the same as many travel BC wings like the Zuma.

Go to 'ebags'.com....Military backpacks....Made better, especially the zippers, different sizes, more compartments, better designs/lay-outs and less expensive.....

i love those northface basecamp comes in many sizes.. a M or L should suit your needs. they even have an XL! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom