Back zipper on wetsuit.. ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoostangGT

Registered
Reaction score
We are thinking of purchasing a couple shorties for our upcoming vacation and a lot of the shorties have zippers on the back, is this ever a problem with comfort? I mean having the zipper back there with the weight of the tank while walking down to the shore. Our BCs do have a lot of padding but I would love to hear feedback.

Never had a problem with one myself. Most come with a length of line like a lanyard, which makes it easy to self-zip and unzip. In reality that sometimes depends on how flexible (or unflexible) you are. However, I've never had a problem with discomfort; I don't ever recall noticing the zipper was even there...

Never notice zipper. Most wetsuits have a flap called spine flap. This helps keep water from leaking thru zipper and it also acts as a cushion.

Your biggest concern should be the fit of the suit. Not the color, manufacturer (unless the manufacturer is giving it to you, wink wink, nudge nudge), zipper location, etc. An ill fitting suit, no matter where the zipper is located, is an ill fitting suit.

Thanks for the feedback!

We are looking at the henderson thermoprene which I am reading good things about, I imagine the stretch gives it a nicer fit.
I agree with posts 2 & 3. I have several wetsuits; shorties and jumpsuits. One jumpsuit is a front zip. The rest back. The front is a PITA getting out of. The backs are a piece of cake in all regards. Wearing issues for all are nil.

Back
Top Bottom