Back up cutting tool placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is a newbie question for those with more experience...

After having a chance to dive with my new gear in FL over the holidays I moved my small knife from the mounting grommets low on my bc up to my inflator hose. I have added a pair of sea snips (shears) and am looking for a location on my R side and am considering a bullet snap and lanyard inside the pocket. But what a shame to pitch the fancy holster!

Where are some of you stowing yours? Thanks!

I clip my shears on my left lower D ring(yes keep "the fancy holster!" in sight for all my buddies to admire---lol) & now keep my small sheathed knife in my right BC pocket.....btw, 2 years ago I was carrying nothing---got away from a knife in the lates 80's & guess my old age got me to rethinking safety a couple years ago---guess I thought I was bullet proof when dumber & younger.....

I keep a knife in one of the pockets of my BC. Really don't see a necessity for anything else unless one is apt to lose stuff.

Ideally you would want to have both cutting devices located in positions that can be reached with either hand. I carry a very small knife on my waist belt and a very small pair of shears rubber banded to my right shoulder strap. The rubber bands are cross sections of a mountain bicycle inner tube. BC is a back plate/wing with hog harness so there is ample room to do this. You can google Golem Gear for a look at knife and shears for size comparison.

I keep a knife in one of the pockets of my BC. Really don't see a necessity for anything else unless one is apt to lose stuff.

In an area of active sport fishing there is always the possibility, around and in wrecks, to encounter wire leader material - the emt shears will cut this.

One high, one low or lower and reachable with both hands.

Gary D.

In the left thigh pocket of my dry suit, when diving wet I wasn't carrying a backup, I can always argue that my dive buddy's (spouse) knife was my backup, but in reality just didn't fashion a holder for it while diving wet.

I like the idea of rubber banding it to the harness, I also dive a b/p wing and have room on the harness.

$.02

I dive up here in the NE Atlantic and our wrecks have lots of lose fishing line as well as the ocassional CF of divers and wreck reels going every which way. I carry two primary knives (3-5 in Titanium) with one on each leg, a small knife on my inflavor hose, and trama shears in a pouch on my right webbing belt.

Why carry soo much? Well like I said, there is lots of line on some of the wrecks and if you get tangled up, you want to be able to reach something....

If you aren't diving in an area with as much garbage, then something on your inflator hose or strapped to a BC strap is more than sufficent. When I worked in the FL Keys, the most use my dive knife saw was spreading peanut butter on my lunch....

:rofl3:

i've a small knife on my left shoulder, a line cutter on my right shoulder, I slide the shears onto the waist belt of my BP/w, but it could easily slide onto a wieght belt also.

I carry a small, folded knife in my right BC pocket, a larged Tusa knife on my leg (sometimes), and a pair of EMT shears on my BC shoulder strap. No matter what, I should be able to reach something when needed. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom