cutting device transport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just came back from an (air travel) dive trip with the family of 4 with absolutely no cutting devices with us because of a packing mistake. Smart dad placed 4 suitable knives, one trilobite, a couple of shears and the brand ne Santa delivered DGX sharp cuts separately in a box to assure none of those made it into the carry on gear and personal bags, which held all essential gear otherwise (suits, booties, fins, BCDs / BP&Ws, etc, camera gear, lights, batteries, minimum amount of chargers...). I was proud of my packing job... until I realised at 2:30am on the way to the airport that all the cutting tools are still in that box by the dining room table and none made it into checked luggage.
Oh well, lesson learned...
Nod to this thread:
Fishhook in Finger
Wondering:
1. Does anyone know with authority if Trilobites or DGX sharp cuts could "TSA-and-other-air-safety-autority-wise-approvedly" go into carry on luggage?
2. Scissors / shears: The sheats that came with what we have are not really secure for external carry (and one handed removal and re-stowing). What works for you?
3. DGX sharp cut. The thought of mounting it to the front of the crotch strap occurred. How so to be sure there is no issue should I use a scooter?

In my experience almost nothing sharp can be in the carry on. This includes scissors & knives but I've got weird looks for small wrenches as well. There is enough hassle these days to get thru security that I make sure my carryon does not have anything that could become problematic.

I've had trouble with not sharp objects but also successfully carried on various knives. Seems very arbitrary. If it looks like a razor blade on the scan it can get confiscated even if the blade is enclosed.

When I use to carry a dive knife I would buy a steak knife upon arrivel and snap the end off to fit my sheath. They are generally sharp and only a few dollars.

Cameron

In my experience almost nothing sharp can be in the carry on. This includes scissors & knives but I've got weird looks for small wrenches as well.
My experience too, and it matches the written rules. If it could be construed as a "tool," then it is in jeopardy. I've lost one of these recently: FinancialTool - Multi Tool Wallet Note the description calls it "airport and travel friendly."
FMT2-11-R7_F_0020_72RGB_l.jpg

My experience too, and it matches the written rules. If it could be construed as a "tool," then it is in jeopardy. I've lost one of these recently: FinancialTool - Multi Tool Wallet Note the description calls it "airport and travel friendly."
View attachment 500053

I have something similar that was a freebie swag item. My bag was flagged but they found it after searching and said it was okay.

A razor that uses a thin removalable blade was flagged on another trip and they tossed the blade.

It's a crap shoot. I had on inspector think long and hard over my old fingernail clipper with a hinged file.

shopping

Most new clippers no longer have that feature.

In all fairness... Death by file sounds agonizing, might take a long haul flight though.

A couple years back my friend talked his BFK through TSA inspection as a 'dive tool' in his carry on.... The blunt
end somehow convinced the agent...

I don't travel with sharp things.... Regs and lights look strange enough.

Your mileage may vary.
Cameron

Thanks for all replies so far. So mostly your and my experiences match. Sharps and tools (screwdrivers, even simple pliers and wrenches by my experience) best stay out of carry on if you wish to keep them... ... and I best grow a brain about assuring they made it into the checked luggage indeed.
Maybe I do need to work with a checklist by piece of luggage.
Seems by time the rare departure to a destination comes around I am always overworked and "underslept" and somewhat thinking impaired... and I've proven to myself twice now that my intentions were a bit further along than what I actually did...

True, but a ballpoint pen in the right hands would be just as lethal.
True ... and, ballpoint pen in pocket, for a whole plane ride you get to feel like your the best armed off duty person on board and marvel over the foresightful wisdom of whoever wrote that the pen is mightier than the sword.... :wink:
... yes, I am just being silly... couldn't resist...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom