cutting device transport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry on a tribolite cutter as well as a pair of the DGX trauma shears 12-15 times a year and have never had a problem.
Neither one has sharp points.

Did not have issues with Allen wrenches ever but crescent wrench was a no no. Is a backplate then a non starter as it can be used as body armor??

Going to Caymans in month; after reading this thread, I am taking multi tool out as it has sharp parts. Maybe we should all wear Lycra suits when going to security and allow faster boarding.:)

I've considered "borrowing" a knife from the resort restaurant, and slipping it into a home made belt sheath.

I had a conversation at DEMA with a representative for a company that made zip-knives. Even she could not tell me if their knives would pass a TSA screening. As has been stated in earlier threads on similar subjects, it all comes down to the interpretation of the rules by individual TSA agents. And you won't win the argument.

I'm going to try scissors next time. TSA carry-on rules allow scissors with a 4" maximum blade length measured from the pivot point. EMT scissors are cheap, so if they confiscate it I won't argue.
(Then I'll just steal... eh... I mean "borrow" my breakfast knife).

K

I've considered "borrowing" a knife from the resort restaurant, and slipping it into a home made belt sheath.

I had a conversation at DEMA with a representative for a company that made zip-knives. Even she could not tell me if their knives would pass a TSA screening. As has been stated in earlier threads on similar subjects, it all comes down to the interpretation of the rules by individual TSA agents. And you won't win the argument.

I'm going to try scissors next time. TSA carry-on rules allow scissors with a 4" maximum blade length measured from the pivot point. EMT scissors are cheap, so if they confiscate it I won't argue.

K
LOL. Good luck cutting through that entanglement with a breakfast knife.

K

Warning:, bit of a rant...:
Yeah if only the TSA followed their rules and if only there were world wide accepted rules.
I had in the past (not a diving trip) tiny round tip kiddy crafting scissors taken in the US!
Open end (nothing sharp) wrenches. Small set of Hex keys, individual small Hex key, the odd forgotten pocket knife (of course, duh)... all while a pesky little key knife lived on my keychain all through this century until end of 2017 one TSA employee actually did his job... Sad and proud of him at the same time...
Half of the few times I flew diving I had to explain the individually plastic baggied Li-Ion rechargeables in the carry on. In Egypt (depart) and Aruba (transfer) vehemently so... This times in Seoul, Tokyo and Cebu I got lucky. Here they clearlwy are not allowed in checked.luggage. There their countertop laminated sheets clearly states not allowed ... period. That's a bit hard on dive and video lights...

TSA says one lighter is allowed on person / carry on ... not in luggage. Airport Desktop info in Seoul and Cebu states none are allowed. Forgot to dutch them. Due to laat minute weight redistri ution (partially wet gear) both ended up in checked luggage on the way back and arrived.
When we arrived in the Philippines I found a sizeable pressurized can of insect repellant in the checked luggage that a well meaning family member packed (I packed wipes to be rule conformant). Ditched that prior to returning.
Is there a point?
Not really, just that the rules vary in places and past performance is not a valid indicator of future outcomes.
But it sure would be nice to have agreed to universal rules... with a way to safely bring Li-Ion batteries (which individually sealing small enough individual cells is... and a complete list of items not permitted in either carry on or checked luggage (a column for each with a reference column for wher further explanation is needed). Pictures as needed. If your life's work is luggage controll, how hard can it be to be crystal clear about it... and then spend the time to get the world to agree... OK, there'd be a bit of work in that...

LOL. Good luck cutting through that entanglement with a breakfast knife.
:wink:
A knife sharpener might not get confiscated... New market niche: The butter knife sharpener...

Warning:, bit of a rant...:
Yeah if only the TSA followed their rules and if only there were world wide accepted rules.
I had in the past (not a diving trip) tiny round tip kiddy crafting scissors taken in the US!
Open end (nothing sharp) wrenches. Small set of Hex keys, individual small Hex key, the odd forgotten pocket knife (of course, duh)... all while a pesky little key knife lived on my keychain all through this century until end of 2017 one TSA employee actually did his job... Sad and proud of him at the same time...
Half of the few times I flew diving I had to explain the individually plastic baggied Li-Ion rechargeables in the carry on. In Egypt (depart) and Aruba (transfer) vehemently so... This times in Seoul, Tokyo and Cebu I got lucky. Here they clearlwy are not allowed in checked.luggage. There their countertop laminated sheets clearly states not allowed ... period. That's a bit hard on dive and video lights...

TSA says one lighter is allowed on person / carry on ... not in luggage. Airport Desktop info in Seoul and Cebu states none are allowed. Forgot to dutch them. Due to laat minute weight redistri ution (partially wet gear) both ended up in checked luggage on the way back and arrived.
When we arrived in the Philippines I found a sizeable pressurized can of insect repellant in the checked luggage that a well meaning family member packed (I packed wipes to be rule conformant). Ditched that prior to returning.
Is there a point?
Not really, just that the rules vary in places and past performance is not a valid indicator of future outcomes.
But it sure would be nice to have agreed to universal rules... with a way to safely bring Li-Ion batteries (which individually sealing small enough individual cells is... and a complete list of items not permitted in either carry on or checked luggage (a column for each with a reference column for wher further explanation is needed). Pictures as needed. If your life's work is luggage controll, how hard can it be to be crystal clear about it... and then spend the time to get the world to agree... OK, there'd be a bit of work in that...
I think we can safely say that it is as clear as mud!

Multiple trips with trilobite on computer and on right shoulder of BPW. Never a problem.

Multiple trips with trilobite on computer and on right shoulder of BPW. Never a problem.
Ah, cutting device with metal plate in background to defeat detection... Sneaky!!! (kidding ... :wink:)

Did not have issues with Allen wrenches ever but crescent wrench was a no no. Is a backplate then a non starter as it can be used as body armor??

Going to Caymans in month; after reading this thread, I am taking multi tool out as it has sharp parts. Maybe we should all wear Lycra suits when going to security and allow faster boarding.:)

I have carried on my backplate on several trips without incident.

Back
Top Bottom