Back up computer for Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking of buying a Perdix AI. What would be a suitable backup wrist computer? I don't want to have to buy another Perdix as the back-up due to cost. Right now I'm diving with a Galileo and some kind of Aladin as backup.

Are you diving Nitrox or Trimix? The backup may vary as does your use of gas. I use the Perdix with a Hollis DG03. I'm diving rec (or at least NDL dives). The algorithms don't "match" but the are close enough. The DG03 uses AI also so gas measurements turn out the same +/- 2psi.

Cheers -

Thinking of buying a Perdix AI. What would be a suitable backup wrist computer? I don't want to have to buy another Perdix as the back-up due to cost. Right now I'm diving with a Galileo and some kind of Aladin as backup.

Assuming for single gas diving...

Use you existing computer as main and the Perdix as a backup. Either set the Perdix to an aggressive mode or just ignore it until you need it. Then if the primary fails you know the Perdix knows you exposure so you can carry on with it.

You can do this since the Perdix will not lock out if you ignore the stops. If you set it to aggressive you probably will not often even need to rely on that.

I go the opposite way when I use a backup without GF to match the perdix. I have a Subgear which is fairly aggressive so it will be my fallback plan, I use the Perdix as primary with a more conservative GF so I have not yet had the Subgear clear before the Perdix

Reactions: MMM
Are you diving Nitrox or Trimix? The backup may vary as does your use of gas. I use the Perdix with a Hollis DG03. I'm diving rec (or at least NDL dives). The algorithms don't "match" but the are close enough. The DG03 uses AI also so gas measurements turn out the same +/- 2psi.

Cheers -
No trimix. Usually air on my first dive and nitrox on my second.

I'm running my Petrel as the main and the Perdix as the backup :D

Prior to getting the Perdix, I was using a Suunto as back up, multiple gases and mainly Nitrox but also Trimix.

Hey Marge. You can use any dive computer with the Perdix but you will need to follow the most conservation of the algorithms if they do not match and this can change from dive to dive unless one computer is considerably more or less conservative then the other.

Looking at the Galileo it seems to be about middle of the road so to start I would set your Perdix at moderate conservative 40/85 then compare them for a few dives and adjust as needed.

If you want to have a backup to the Perdix that you can set and forget then get one with a very liberal algorithm. Otherwise you risk putting the backup into deco and locking it out if not cleared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom