Back up computer for Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with those that say that you can use any computer as a backup as long as its algorithm is not such that it is going to go into error mode while you are following the Shearwater. The odds are overwhelming that you will never need it--I have never needed a backup in the decades I have been using computers. (Yes, I do use one.)

I happen to have a Galileo Luna, and use it as my primary. For back up, I use a Mantis2, running from the same ScubaPro transmitter as the Galileo... and a Perdix as a backup. Yes, I know it’s crazy to have 3 computers, but that works for me.

I like the Perdix. If you are going to buy one and use it as a primary unit, go with the AI. You won’t go wrong. I know it’s a bit more money, but it is worth it.

From personal experience, I can tell you that from what I’ve observed after a couple of years with the Perdix and 10 years with the Galileo Luna... both the Galileo and the Perdix run very similar algorithms. These are just my personal observations based on empirical observations and it’s just my personal experience.

When the Galileo is about to report that I need to make a deco stop unless I start assent, so does the Perdix. When the Galileo recommends a minute or two of mandatory deco stop, so does the Perdix. They are like mirroring each other, and don’t actually interact with each other. I have the Galileo to my right and the Perdix to my left.

The Mantis2 is just for travel convenience, it’s does exactly what the Galileo does, matches every single aspect of it. The Mantis2 is very hard to read, and I don’t recommend the Mantis2. It’s just a backup to my Galileo. They (Galileo and Mantis2) are exactly the same.

My wife has recently started to use a Perdix AI as her primary and has moved the Galileo Luna as her backup. It works for her very well.

I would not hesitate in keeping what you have and just demoting your Galileo to be a reliable backup and having a new Perdix AI become your go to primary. You won’t go wrong.

They are very reliable units. You will end up with 2 transmitters on your 1st stage, but that’s not a problem, at least it hasn’t been a problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Reactions: MMM
Not if you don’t know the profile in advance. Even then it is a painful process.
So what is the problem? The BT is to be used as a backup device as per original question, not as a primary DC. Even if you are in a "tight" spot you can use a BT with avg depth information to calculate an ascent profile...

So what is the problem? The BT is to be used as a backup device as per original question, not as a primary DC. Even if you are in a "tight" spot you can use a BT with avg depth information to calculate an ascent profile...

What agencies teach sport divers how to use average depth as a basis for calculating an ascent?

At depth and @18', Perdix and Zoop are showing the same no-deco numbers.

What about on the second and third and fourth dives of the day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom