Back Roll Entry Head Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can practically recite, verbatim, the briefing we get from the guy I dive with in Cozumel. "Is everybody ready? Yes? Up on the side of the boat please. On my count of three, everybody roll. If you don't go on three, don't go until the captain says you can go. That way you won't land on top of anyone. OK, 1, 2, 3."

A beanie costs about $25. I have a few of them, plus a hooded vest, which cost a bit more but keeps me ever so much warmer!

Glad you posted this and happy that you have thought through the incident. As others have said, it sounds like a sloppy entry procedure by the operation and you are lucky nothing worse occurred.

All dives bar none in the Ocean here are backward roll's and all of the operators use that exact system.

In 90% of the time its fine, but if one person delays for some reason, then theres a good chance when they do fall back they will land on a diver already in the water.

The method definitely relies on everyone going back at once to avoid accidents, and I have seen people delay and then roll, only to land on someone. Usually I would teach students to go over slightly negatively buoyant and fin away from the boat before surfacing, otherwise its a very easy accident to happen.

I've always been taught, and I am aligned with my instruction, that it's my responsibility to ensure the water is clear prior to entry. It doesn't matter whether it's a back roll or a giant stride.

I've always been taught, and I am aligned with my instruction, that it's my responsibility to ensure the water is clear prior to entry. It doesn't matter whether it's a back roll or a giant stride.
Sounds good. Just doesn't work for me. By the time I get my fat ass up on the edge of the boat, with my pony & PLB slung and my camera in hand, shoulder to shoulder with the divers on either side of me - I cannot turn and look, certainly not well enough to see clearly.

I just try to go when the others go, then get down & away so no one can fall on me or the boat hit me in the head.

Sounds good. Just doesn't work for me. By the time I get my fat ass up on the edge of the boat, with my pony & PLB slung and my camera in hand, shoulder to shoulder with the divers on either side of me - I cannot turn and look, certainly not well enough to see clearly.

I just try to go when the others go, then get down & away so no one can fall on me or the boat hit me in the head.

That is a ridiculous statement. It's akin to saying, "I've piled so much sh*t into my car that I can't see out the windows, oh well." Think about that.

That is a ridiculous statement. It's akin to saying, "I've piled so much sh*t into my car that I can't see out the windows, oh well." Think about that.

I do not carry either a pony bottle or a camera. My ass is not all that fat. I have, however, found myself sitting on the edge of many a boat, especially inflatables, where we are all so closely packed on the edge that it would be very difficult to turn and look behind you. Yes, I will trust that the crew member giving the command has done due diligence in making sure it is safe, and I will go when commanded.

I do not carry either a pony bottle or a camera. My ass is not all that fat. I have, however, found myself sitting on the edge of many a boat, especially inflatables, where we are all so closely packed on the edge that it would be very difficult to turn and look behind you. Yes, I will trust that the crew member giving the command has done due diligence in making sure it is safe, and I will go when commanded.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what happens if.. the boat is moving slightly, you splash when told to, the person next to you does not and he lands on you?

The crew member can give perfect instructions and exercise all the due diligence imaginable, but what can he do when a customer fails to immediately follow a direct command and delays for just 2 seconds and then splashes?

Well, maybe it's like backing up a vehicle even tho you can't see behind you - which I've done. Have you? Sometimes you just have to trust the person giving instructions - the ground guide for when I am steering the vehicle.

I was glad to see that cars are going to have backup cameras and screens required. I always back into my garage as I can more easily see that no kids are playing nearby then than while when pulling out, which I do in forward.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what happens if.. the boat is moving slightly, you splash when told to, the person next to you does not and he lands on you?
He may land where I entered, but I'll be below.

Last edited:
Well, maybe it's like backing up a vehicle even tho you can't see behind you - which I've done. Have you? Sometimes you just have to trust the person giving instructions - the ground guide for when I am steering the vehicle.

I have done that, when backing a trailer. I had to get out to check and the backup, but something could have moved behind me between the time I checked and backed. I've since bought extended mirrors, but even they are a bit of trust. No doubt I would still be at fault if I hit someone or something. A bit selfishly though, a back roll entry has the potential to hurt MY head, so I check every time. If you're reading this, try looking over your shoulders. I'm genuinely curious how many people are able to do this after reading this thread.

I was glad to see that cars are going to have backup cameras and screens required. I always back into my garage as I can more easily see that no kids are playing nearby then than while when pulling out, which I do in forward.

Oh really, you can descend completely within less than 1 or two seconds?

Oh really, you can descend completely within less than 1 or two seconds?
I dive a couple of pounds negative at the end so I can descend even then if needed to dodge a boat, so I'm even more negative when I roll in and get down ok. I suppose if a dork rolled immediately after me but the boat moved fast enough for him to land where I did, it's possible he could hit me. I would not be floating on the surface with my head in the air, close to the boat, tho.

I ran downtown for a cheeseburger and sure had to dodge kids playing a driveway and into the street. Got to watch out for those tykes! :eek: Parents pull their car out of the driveway so they can play, park it on the curb so it's harder to see the kids, and right before I pass - poof! Here's comes the ball and kid chasing. They're called driveways, not parkways!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom