Back mount pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's what I thought, but wanted to confirm -- I said it was a dumb question! I didn't know if there was some type of one-way flow mechanism, etc.
If there were, all the world’s energy problems would be instantly resolved.

But setting up a ridiculous little "pony" tank as a mismatched set of independent doubles is the worst of all possible options. It's like showing up for a race wearing different sized shoes that you scrounged out of a dumpster.
That's a horrible analogy. But it's a perfect match for the rest of your post.

I have a dumb question about transfill-whips: Does, for instance, an AL80 with 500psi left at the end of the dive, have enough pressure to top off a 19cf pony that still has 2,000 or 2,500 psi left? Or does the pressure of the donor tank have to be greater than the pressure of the pony tank?
Pressure and gas will go from high pressure to low pressure. So, air would flow from your 2000 psi pony tank into the 500 psi AL80. To increase the pressure in the pony bottle, you'll need another bottle with a higher pressure than the pony bottle. Volume is irrelevant to the direction air flows through the whip.

In other words, I'd expect the equalized pressure to be roughly (500psi * 80cu + 2000psi * 19cu) / (80cu + 19cu) = 787.8 psi in both tanks once they equalize.

There are some slight nuances like temperature, or a small volume of gas-loss in the whip, etc which might make it not exactly that number, but it'll be close enough.

----

edit: If you had a completely empty AL19, and a 500psi AL80, you could equalize both tanks to about (500 * 80 + 0 * 19) / (80 + 19) = 404psi. From there you could continue to top up the pony from any tank that has more than 404 psi, like a 1000psi tank, then a 1500psi tank, etc. I have used partially full tanks to partially top up nearly empty pony bottles.

I just came from a trip and gave up on the pony. The organizer thought I was crazy but I insisted I wanted to use it,. However in the end I just could manage the extra weight in my luggage. On the boat my first stage did spring a leak that needed to be fixed. If this had happened under water, especially at any real depth, it would not had been fun.

Are pony bottles generally available for rent at resort dive shops?
F*** that organizer. Don't redesign how you dive around some annoying micromanager.

Pony rentals are not common, but they do exist. You'll have to call around wherever you're traveling to.

Maybe I'm just vain but I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a pony.
I'm not one to tell other people how to dive, but....
Some people are caught dead because they didn't carry a pony.
...exactly this.

I have several extra loaner pony bottles, including 6cu and 19cu, and am always a little surprised how rare it is for someone to take me up on the offer. I don't really understand why people are embarassed to carry one. Maybe some see it as a crutch or training wheels?

After having an equipment incident (loose regulator hose), I like having the insurance that should nearly anything go wrong with my primarily air supply, it'll only ever be a minor annoyance.

As a bonus, it even made me more confident with servicing my own regulators. Not that I think I'd make a mistake after getting some experience, but if I did, I'd have a completely redundant system with me.

You wish!

Screenshot (725).png

I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a pony.

Pressure and gas will go from high pressure to low pressure. So, air would flow from your 2000 psi pony tank into the 500 psi AL80. To increase the pressure in the pony bottle, you'll need another bottle with a higher pressure than the pony bottle. Volume is irrelevant to the direction air flows through the whip.

In other words, I'd expect the equalized pressure to be roughly (500psi * 80cu + 2000psi * 19cu) / (80cu + 19cu) = 787.8 psi in both tanks once they equalize.

There are some slight nuances like temperature, or a small volume of gas-loss in the whip, etc which might make it not exactly that number, but it'll be close enough.

----

edit: If you had a completely empty AL19, and a 500psi AL80, you could equalize both tanks to about (500 * 80 + 0 * 19) / (80 + 19) = 404psi. From there you could continue to top up the pony from any tank that has more than 404 psi, like a 1000psi tank, then a 1500psi tank, etc. I have used partially full tanks to partially top up nearly empty pony bottles.
Although you are roughly correct, in reality these calculation can be slightly wrong, because you are factoring the "total filled capacity" of each tank (80 cu.feet), whilst you should use the REAL capacity (12 liters).
The total capacity is the real capacity times the nominal filling pressure.
So your math works only if both tanks are rated to the same nominal filling pressure.
Using the real capacity makes the calculation correct wathever the nominal filling pressures.
That is the reason for which here in Europe we are used to name the tanks by their real capacity in liters, not by their nominal full capacity.

Although you are roughly correct, in reality these calculation can be slightly wrong, because you are factoring the "total filled capacity" of each tank (80 cu.feet), whilst you should use the REAL capacity (12 liters).
The total capacity is the real capacity times the nominal filling pressure.
So your math works only if both tanks are rated to the same nominal filling pressure.
Using the real capacity makes the calculation correct wathever the nominal filling pressures.
That is the reason for which here in Europe we are used to name the tanks by their real capacity in liters, not by their nominal full capacity.
Correct. For example, the above calculations would be off on an HP100 (3500psi) steel tank or LP80 (2400psi?), because the "CU" (Cubic feet) rating would be taking the air inside at max-pressure, and converting it to the volume it would fill at 1ATM. So, I should have used liters instead of CU.

Back
Top Bottom