Back Inflate vs. Backplate/wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Travel 25lb. Mines fine with a 7 mil semi dry. Look up wing/lift calculator here on the board though before you pass. If u think u need more lift buy the bc anyway and I'll trade u a 40 lb lift wing for that one straight up.

If you're looking at Dive Rite wings I think the Voyager EXP(35lbs/lift) or Rec EXP(45lbs/lift) would fit the bill depending on your body size/weight carried. I'm 230lbs and use a Rec EXP with a single steel 95 or 100, a 5 mil suit and 10lbs of weight in salt water and it works fine for me(I even sling an AL40 pony with zero lift worries). As far as other brands I would think the 35-45lb of lift would be plenty for your purposes.

Get that wing! I spearfish the Texas Gulf, and that's almost exactly what I use. 25 pounds is plenty of lift!

For what you're doing the back plate and wing is the only way to go. Use a simple Hog one piece harness, maybe a crotch strap to give the rig a little more stability especially if you get inverted (I'm a huge spearfisherman also). I know how all the rules of "proper trim" go out the window when wrestling a big fish and trying to dispatch it, a crotch strap will keep the rig from swinging around.
Forget about chest straps and integrated weights - big waste of time.
Use a weightbelt.
All you'll need for lift is probably an 18 lb. wing, at most a 30 lb., but if you're properly weighted I don't see how you could use all 30 lbs where you'll be diving.
The other nice thing about BP/W is if any one component wears out you just fix or replace that one component, not the whole unit, and you can switch wings for whatever water temp you want to dive.
The actual metal plate will never wear out, your kids and their kids and their kids will be using it for hundreds of years (if diving is still around).
Once you go BP/W you'll never go back, there is no better place to go!

Only $125 and it's pretty much brand new. I just didn't know if I would see any pleasure or benefit for switching.

For $125 you have nothing to lose as long as the wing holds air. If you do not like it or the transpac is doesn't fit you can always eBay or use the classifies here and get your money back.

Thats the exact info ive been wanting to here yall!!! Cant thank yall enough on that. Im going to pick it up and dive it a shot. Might hop in the pool with it and get my gear confirgured up the way I like it.

I have used a 30# wing while diving with a Bare Arctic 7mil and it was plenty of lift. Get the gear, it will be great for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom