Back Inflate vs. Backplate/wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrantley531

Registered
Reaction score
I need some fellow advice and opinions! I currently use a scubapro knighthawk back inflate bcd. Practically all I do is spearfish and I prefer to have the least amount of gear on in the water as I can. Only accessories I carry are a knife and light. I've been looking at a Dive Rite Trans Pac with a dive rite 30lb wing. What do yall like about me doing the swap. I dive in the gulf of mexico off of Al and Fl 80ft to 120 ft mainly.

The Trans PAC is pretty close to a traditional back inflate. The only thing you'll loose is the cummerbund and weight pockets. I'd probably keep the nighthawk and add a crotch strap to it before investing that much into the Dive Rite bc.
That said, if you really don't like diving with any fluff than look at Dive Rite's backplate with a one piece webbing and a travel wing for Gulf Coast diving. Or any other brand for that matter. With a stainless backplate you may not need any additional weight with a 3 mil or less. I'm seeing a lot more backplates lately on Gulf Coast boats.
If you just like the whole adjustable bc thing though the nighthawk is a pretty good one. You can add a crotch strap to keep it in place and shorten the inflater to lessen clutter.

Thanks for the input. I still enjoy using my knighthawk. But the dive rite I found is a good deal. Guy bought out a retired dive instructors gear and selling it because he doesn't dive. Only $125 and it's pretty much brand new. I just didn't know if I would see any pleasure or benefit for switching.

for $125 it's worth it to buy since it's a bit more versatile than the knighthawk and you can probably sell the nighthawk for quite a bit to a recreational diver. Hell the wing alone is worth that much if not more.

The thing that originally sold me on the Transpac many moons ago was its versatility as well as the fact that almost every piece is replaceable. I've used mine for every type of diving I do from cave sidemount to using a single tank to hook and unhook shipwrecks in NC.

So in yalls opinion, would that dive rite set up (diving single steel 100s and 120s) be sufficient for me spearfishing? I'm not a tech diver by any means, just a hunter as of now. The bp/w has just always caught my attention from the stream line and just not having as much junk to get tangled up with fighting a fish.

A basic steel BP/one-piece harness/30lb wing is as minimal as you can get short of not using a wing at all (which I'd consider in your configuration), and it's reasonably priced. It's plenty for any recreational diving, including spearing.

I need some fellow advice and opinions! I currently use a scubapro knighthawk back inflate bcd. Practically all I do is spearfish and I prefer to have the least amount of gear on in the water as I can. Only accessories I carry are a knife and light. I've been looking at a Dive Rite Trans Pac with a dive rite 30lb wing. What do yall like about me doing the swap. I dive in the gulf of mexico off of Al and Fl 80ft to 120 ft mainly.

Your current BC has a lot of lift. I have one of those BC's and don't really like it, especially the stupid integrated weight pockets. I don't have a transpack, but have know people that use them for spearfishing. I think they are good.

However, are you diving in the winter with 5 or 7 mm suits? If so, I think the 30 lbs of lift may be a little low.

I finally got him to dig some information out on it and it ended up being the travel wing on it only offering me 25lbs of lift. Too me that just seems too low. Unfortunately I'll probably pass on that deal

---------- Post added August 18th, 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

I usually stay in a 3mil until mid to late October and then I step up to a 5mil what size lift would you think would be sufficient for summer 3 mils and winter 5 mils?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom