Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Being fairly new to FL that's not something I've run into yet. Does the cold water normally get swept out quickly by the gulf stream? Or does it persist for a while? 60 degrees is drysuit territory for me.

I have only lived in Florida for 3 years. Is this cold water something that happens every year, much less often. Is this normal?

When the very cold water is pushed in from the deep it is often very clear, since it was presumably too deep and dark for algae to grow at the depths it originated from. I've seen it much colder than 60 degrees in the summer in Palm Beach in 100 feet. I've also seen the temperature change 30 degrees in a few hours in the same location when the gulf stream comes back in and displaces the cold water.

If you travel another 60 miles north, it is not that uncommon to have temps in the low to mid 50's in 100 ft of water. I have actually seen it in the low 50's in Palm Beach - in the summer. I've never seen it anywhere near that cold in the winter there.

If the cold, nutrient rich water stays in the shallow water, it will eventually experience an algae bloom and the vis can drop considerably.

.. Is this normal?
This note is for just Lobster Mini-Season the last week of July each year. Our dives those days usually start in 90ft. For the last 25 years it has always been an 'Either / Or ' set of 2 conditions so predictable you can write it in stone.

A) It's sweet warm 80 degree water, but ripping 3 to 4 knot, mask shaking, rock grabbing wild currents.
B) It's a freezing upwhelling and you gotta suck it up. Lowest was 54 degree>IN JULY!!

Every mini season I bring an extra 7mm wetsuit even if it never get's wet. But I've been burned so many times, I just bring it. It's pretty wild seeing 'cold-stunned' fish just laying flat and not moving on the sand like they are dead.

View attachment 667296

Put this into perspective, this is a nearly 20 degree drop in water temperature over 36 hours

Woof! Looks like the 5mil and hood are coming back out this weekend. May bring out the 7 depending on your report tomorrow. Are you diving Jupiter/north PB tomorrow?

I went out with JDC Monday the 14th, and I thought it was cold because there was a thermocline below 60 ft. Temp went from 82 to 71f. After reading your post, now I consider myself lucky that it was just cool and we warmed right up during the safety stop!!
Thanks for posting and hoping for better days soon

So, yesterday afternoon the water temp was in the low 70s. Today I wore my full 5 mm with the 5/3 hooded vest, I should have worn my full 7 mm.

We experienced a similar scenario eight years ago during an August trip to WPB. Water temps were in the mid seventies, however, a very nasty thermocline was lurking at 55 feet. The refractive distortion was several feet thick with crisp cold 65 degree water waiting on the other side! The thermocline hung around for the entire trip. Hopefully conditions will improve for you.

Water temperature was 58° on the Hydro Atlantic wreck off of Pompano yesterday. Today’s visit to the Lowrance was scrubbed. Rough seas were acceptable, but surface current was estimated at over 6 knots. Making turns for 4 knots, we were moving at 12 to the north. Even factoring in the added effect of the northbound wind, that’s an extremely strong current. Considering other aspects of the dive, (200’ depth, long, drifting deco, big swells, and etc.), prudence had us return to the dock with all of the people and most of the gear.

Day 3 of Diving, June 25

I was scheduled to do 4 dives with JDC today, The afternoon was cancelled. The day was beautiful, sunny and warm. Seas were up when we went out, solid 2-4, occasionally bigger. Fortunately it flattened out over the morning, but, no solace to those who were already sick.

Conditions were not great, mild south current, visibility no better than 20 feet, water temperature was 69 on the first dive at 73 feet, 71 on the second dive at 70 feet. I was not cold today, I wore my full 7 mm and 5/3 mm hooded vest. Others on the boat were shivering. First dive was at Bonnie's, second was at Lighthouse. There was essentially no reef life on the 1st dive, a barren landscape. On the second dive, there were a few dead fish, a couple of Whitespotted Filefish and a Trumpet, very sad. We did see a lone female Loggerhead swimming on the reef. Just before the end of the dive, a huge school of Bermuda Chub came by, probably the largest school I have seen. They completely blotted out the light from the surface for several minutes, and then they were gone.

I move down to West Palm for some dives tomorrow, we'll see what is dealt.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom