Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I got back down after a 27 day SI

The Philadelphia airport was as busy as I can remember it before the pandemic. Everyone is wearing masks in the airport and on the plane. The Palm Beach airport was very busy, as busy as ever. Everyone wore masks. I got my car from National, still, everyone masked, poor selection of cars, I had to take a medium-large VW SUV an Atlas, not my favorite car, prefer a medium sedan. No masks for the vaccinated at Winn Dixie, I hope all who were without masks were actually vaccinated.

Day 1 of Diving, June 23

I did 4 dives with Jupiter Dive Center. No masks in the shop or on the boat. The first 2 dives were at Bonnie's and Bluffs, the afternoon was at Area 51 and Scarface. It was a challenging day, weeded out the less than prepared. The morning dives had brisk current, vis of only 20-30 feet and a water temp of 78-79. Seas were about 2-3, wind came up and it rained in the afternoon. I was in a full 3 mm and added a hooded vest The afternoon had brisk current, same visibility, but a water temp of 71-72 , brrrrr. I added my gloves to the 2nd dive, helped a little.

Despite the poor vis, there were some highlights. I took my camera on the 1st dive but, without taking a photo, bagged it for the rest of the day. Saw 2-3 Lemon Sharks, several Reef Sharks, a couple of Nurse Sharks, about 4 Loggerhead, a Hawksbill, many Green Morays, and all the usual reef fish. There were a couple of large school of Bermuda Chub and the largest school of Porkfish that I have ever seen.

Back to JDC for 4 more dives tomorrow, I will be wearing my 5 mm.

...I did 4 dives with Jupiter Dive Center. No masks in the shop or on the boat.
Thanks for the conditions report, BRRRR!!! The inlet camera's looked flat this morning, but it spiked to 35mph winds at 2pm.

I know a couple of the WPB/JUP coast guard guys. The way the CDC Jan 29th order reads, the charter dive boats have a mask requirement, but the CDC has no jurisdiction to enforce it.. The Coast Guard has jurisdiction, but their bulletin only says a loosely worded "best efforts" to inform passengers on board. The local CG guys say it's not a priority so there is no active enforcement.

For me personally, I hate sunscreen so I always wear a gator buff for the last 20 years well before covid. I'd guess less than 10% of the people I see in big box stores have masks, but I still wear one and haven't even had so much as a cold in the last 18 mths which is nice.

That big rain downpour today is going to create alot of run off and crush the vis for WPB/Jup. You might want to stay south since they seem to be getting less runoff & downpours.

Masks have pretty much disappeared down here. But, don’t assume folks without masks are vaccinated. I work part time at a boating supply store and we recently started saying to customers that asked, you do not have to wear a mask if you are vaccinated. When this first started, I nicely asked a guy that was not wearing a mask, I said I don’t care either way, but are you vaccinated? To my surprise, his answer was no.

I am very glad I got vaccinated!

I was talking with Gerry before going out yesterday. He said the Coast Guard had contacted him the day before and that the mask enforcement had been discontinued. He had not even had a chance to take the sign down off the door yet.

So, I got back down after a 27 day SI

The Philadelphia airport was as busy as I can remember it before the pandemic. Everyone is wearing masks in the airport and on the plane. The Palm Beach airport was very busy, as busy as ever. Everyone wore masks. I got my car from National, still, everyone masked, poor selection of cars, I had to take a medium-large VW SUV an Atlas, not my favorite car, prefer a medium sedan. No masks for the vaccinated at Winn Dixie, I hope all who were without masks were actually vaccinated.

Day 1 of Diving, June 23

I did 4 dives with Jupiter Dive Center. No masks in the shop or on the boat. The first 2 dives were at Bonnie's and Bluffs, the afternoon was at Area 51 and Scarface. It was a challenging day, weeded out the less than prepared. The morning dives had brisk current, vis of only 20-30 feet and a water temp of 78-79. Seas were about 2-3, wind came up and it rained in the afternoon. I was in a full 3 mm and added a hooded vest The afternoon had brisk current, same visibility, but a water temp of 71-72 , brrrrr. I added my gloves to the 2nd dive, helped a little.

Despite the poor vis, there were some highlights. I took my camera on the 1st dive but, without taking a photo, bagged it for the rest of the day. Saw 2-3 Lemon Sharks, several Reef Sharks, a couple of Nurse Sharks, about 4 Loggerhead, a Hawksbill, many Green Morays, and all the usual reef fish. There were a couple of large school of Bermuda Chub and the largest school of Porkfish that I have ever seen.

Back to JDC for 4 more dives tomorrow, I will be wearing my 5 mm.

Good report. Heard some others over the weekend talking about cooler water temps they experienced the previous week. Sounds like upwelling events. I wonder if that and the lower-than-usual viz you experienced are related.

A Palm Beach county area boat captain told me a few weeks ago that they had their boat undergo a normal yearly USCG passenger vessel inspection and none of the officers had masks on. They told the cap that they aren't enforcing the Federal mask rule on pax vessels - this was 2+ weeks ago. With the exception of airports and other Federally controlled areas, masks have pretty much disappeared in South Florida.

Good report. Heard some others over the weekend talking about cooler water temps they experienced the previous week. Sounds like upwelling events. I wonder if that and the lower-than-usual viz you experienced are related.

A Palm Beach county area boat captain told me a few weeks ago that they had their boat undergo a normal yearly USCG passenger vessel inspection and none of the officers had masks on. They told the cap that they aren't enforcing the Federal mask rule on pax vessels - this was 2+ weeks ago. With the exception of airports and other Federally controlled areas, masks have pretty much disappeared in South Florida.

I've seen the same on this coast and in Indiana where I was last week. Universal masking in the airports and on the planes but almost no masks anywhere else. Some stores have their employees still masking but others have it optional. For the general public I see few masks here and saw very few in Indiana. There are a few here and there but they are rare.

As for myself and my wife, we are both fully vaccinated and have been for over a month. However, we always have masks with us and will put them on if in proximity to someone wearing a mask. We do that in deference to their preferences because (1) wearing a mask is no big deal and (2) other people matter to us. To us it's basic respect.

Day 2 of Diving, June 24

So, yesterday afternoon the water temp was in the low 70s. Today I wore my full 5 mm with the 5/3 hooded vest, I should have worn my full 7 mm.

Went out for 4 dives, actually, only did 2, with Jupiter Dive Center. The morning was beautiful, seas were around 2 feet. The first dive was at North Juno Ledge, the second at Guppy Ledge, both new to me. We descended on the first dive and it got colder and colder. There was a mild north current. By the time we leveled off at nearly 80 feet, it was 60 degrees!! The vis was spectacular, probably 80-100 feet. Unfortunately, it seems like the fish found it cold also. We saw a couple of Goliath Grouper hanging out at 55 feet or so, where the water was much warmer, low 70s, believe me, it was noticeable. No sharks, no turtles, sparse usual reef fish. Despite ascending to somewhat warmer water, this dive only lasted 44 min.

The second dive was also very cold, around 70 degrees at 50 something feet, plummeted at depth, I could not stand it long enough for my computer to get to steady state. Very little reef life, saw one really beautiful female Loggerhead, Dive only lasted 35 min.

The afternoon dive was cancelled, several of us were on the morning boat. Hannah was very lucky to not have to go out in the afternoon. Rob was not so lucky in the morning, but gave it a good try. He stayed with me on the bottom for 25 minutes on the first dive. Captain Tim was great.

We'll give it another try in the morning, with my 7 mm full suit. I don't think I have ever dived my 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit on 3 consecutive days. There's always something :)

upload_2021-6-24_15-36-29.png

Put this into perspective, this is a nearly 20 degree drop in water temperature over 36 hours

You might be vaccinated & safe from Covid,,,,,But you definitely caught a cold in Florida !!
{gasoline effect}

Even with 7mm full wetsuit & hood, I would be cold at 60F. Did that in Channel Island and Galápagos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom