Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 3 of Diving, June 25

I was scheduled to do 4 dives with JDC today, The afternoon was cancelled. The day was beautiful, sunny and warm. Seas were up when we went out, solid 2-4, occasionally bigger. Fortunately it flattened out over the morning, but, no solace to those who were already sick.

Conditions were not great, mild south current, visibility no better than 20 feet, water temperature was 69 on the first dive at 73 feet, 71 on the second dive at 70 feet. I was not cold today, I wore my full 7 mm and 5/3 mm hooded vest. Others on the boat were shivering. First dive was at Bonnie's, second was at Lighthouse. There was essentially no reef life on the 1st dive, a barren landscape. On the second dive, there were a few dead fish, a couple of Whitespotted Filefish and a Trumpet, very sad. We did see a lone female Loggerhead swimming on the reef. Just before the end of the dive, a huge school of Bermuda Chub came by, probably the largest school I have seen. They completely blotted out the light from the surface for several minutes, and then they were gone.

I move down to West Palm for some dives tomorrow, we'll see what is dealt.

Thanks for the report. I'm diving out of West Palm tomorrow, too. Packing the 7mil and the 5/3 hooded vest. Hoping for better viz. I can do cold or low viz, but I specifically moved to S. Florida so that I would never have to dive both cold and low viz! I had enough of that from quarry diving when I lived in VA.

Thanks for the report. I'm diving out of West Palm tomorrow, too. Packing the 7mil and the 5/3 hooded vest. Hoping we get some better viz and sea life.
Who are you going with? I'm with Walker's. I texted them, they said the water temp was 76-77 today, I may chance my 5 mm. The water temperature yesterday was the lowest I have had in SE FL in 10 years.

, I may chance my 5 mm..
So here's a picture of what you want to look for tomorrow. You need to keep your eyes peeled on the way out to the 1st dive site and try to watch to the East & open water infront of the boat on it's way out.

What you are looking for is these "Flat Spots" amongst the other chop. Those are 'wall current swirls' and it means that you have some strong gulf stream moving currents and that equals 'warmer water'. If you see a flat swirl spot, look north and south and try to find a lineup of them. If you don't see any on the way out, put on more neoprene. But if the swirls are big and well lined up, then you are probably in for a rocket ride. Also you have seen the big green and red 15ft tall metal ship channel markers as you exit the WPB inlet( JUP doesn't have them). Check to see if they are leaning about 30 degrees and not straight vertical, that's your 2nd clue if lots of current.

Spearo's today reported a screaming 5 knot current on the deep ledge and they traveled almost 2 miles in 40 mins when usually we go half a mile. I've been out of the water for over a week training for a 5K event Saturday, but I'm back under next week. Hope you find the fish!!
Swirls_flat_lotsCurrent.jpg

Day 4 of Diving, June 26

I had a really great day of diving today, I did 4 dives with Walker's Charters out of Riviera Beach. The day was variable between warm and sunny and light sprinkles Seas also varied between 2-3 in the morning, bigger going out in the afternoon, then settled again. Water temps were a balmy 80-81 degrees. In the morning, there was a moderate south current, in the afternoon, it was mild north. The only negative was the vis, 15-30 ft.

Many Loggerhead turtles, a couple of Nurse Sharks, many Green Morays, a couple of Spotted Morays, a teeny Goldentail Moray, a bunch of lobster, now feeling safe, several Giant Anemones with a couple of small shrimp, and all the usual reef fish.

Thanks to Bill, Forrest, Autumn, Juliana, Michelle, and Alli.

Day 4 of Diving, June 26

I had a really great day of diving today, I did 4 dives with Walker's Charters out of Riviera Beach. The day was variable between warm and sunny and light sprinkles Seas also varied between 2-3 in the morning, bigger going out in the afternoon, then settled again. Water temps were a balmy 80-81 degrees. In the morning, there was a moderate south current, in the afternoon, it was mild north. The only negative was the vis, 15-30 ft.

Many Loggerhead turtles, a couple of Nurse Sharks, many Green Morays, a couple of Spotted Morays, a teeny Goldentail Moray, a bunch of lobster, now feeling safe, several Giant Anemones with a couple of small shrimp, and all the usual reef fish.

Thanks to Bill, Forrest, Autumn, Juliana, Michelle, and Alli.

How many wetsuits are you bringing on the boat with you? Sounds like a wide temp range…:wink:

How many wetsuits are you bringing on the boat with you? Sounds like a wide temp range…:wink:
I only take one on the boat, my best guess. I always take my hooded vest. Sometimes I take 3 wetsuits in the car and decide at the location, maybe with some local information. That's what I will do today. Going back up to Jupiter this morning. Even though the water was warm in West Palm yesterday, it was cold in Jupiter on Friday. They're about 15 miles apart.

Day 5 of Diving, June 27

3 tanker with Jupiter Dive Center today. It was generally a very nice day, sunny and warm. There was a thunderstorm downpour just before dive 3, but it was warm and sunny when we came back up. Seas were a solid 2-3, occasional bigger on the way out with a short period, a bit rough, a few sick divers. Laid down after that. There was a mild north current, water temp was 78-79 degrees, visibility was dismal, 10-25 feet.

1st dive was Area 51, second was Spadefish Point, 3rd was Capt. Kirle's into Bonnies. There were no sharks, no turtles, no Goliath Grouper. Fortunately, most of the usual reef fish are back after the freeze. Several Green Morays. It was a relaxing day of diving, added to the strange week I've had.

Going out of Boynton for the 1st time this visit in the morning.

Day 6 of Diving, June 28

Did 2 dives with Starfish Scuba out of Boynton Beach. the day started out sunny and hot, ended up quite cloudy with a few sprinkles. Seas were 2-3 feet. Water temp was 77 degrees, visibility 30-40 feet.

First dive was at Delray Ledges with a mild north current. The reef was loaded with the usual fish, especially huge schools of Grunt. Encountered two beautiful female Loggerheads. A very relaxing dive.

The second dive started on the outside reef at Briny Breezes with a crossover to the inside. Upon descending, there was a very strong pull to the east, making it difficult to stay on the reef. I made a slow crossover against the east pull to the inside, It continued to pull east and couldn't decide on north or south, so, I did a little of each, with a net move of essentially nothing. The reef was loaded with the usual suspects.

Back to Boynton for tomorrow, last day of diving this visit.

Day 7 of Diving, June 29, last day

I did 2 more dives with Starfish out of Boynton. It was generally warm and sunny. It clouded up, and just as we got back into the dock, it let loose with a short deluge. Seas were 2-3

My first dive was outside of Clubhouse (Boynton Ledges). The water at 80 feet was a cool 73 degrees, visibility was only about 30 ft. In my 5 mm with hooded vest, I got cold after a half hour and cut across the reef to the inside, where the temperature was 77-78 degrees, same visibility. Nothing special on this dive, all the usual reef fish.

The 2nd dive was at the north end of the reef at Lynn's. I followed a Loggerhead down to the main reef and dived it for the rest of the dive. Water was 77 degrees and visibility remained at about 30 feet. With the exception of the Loggerhead, nothing special but a whole load of fish on the reef

So my plan for this trip was 24 dives in the 7 days. I feel pretty lucky that I got in 19 and dived every day. The water temp and visibility were really whacky this week. Sorry, no photos.

I"m off to Malpelo, Colombia at the end of next week, wish me luck. You should eventually hear all about it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom