back from dahab - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelegurra

Contributor
Reaction score
back in lisbon and wishing i was still in dahab.

a week goes by and you don't even notice, when you're having fun.

diving and spending the rest of the day loafing in the pillow stuffed restaurants seems like a very nice way to spend time and... it is!
we dived the lighthouse, eel garden, the islands, the canyon, bells to blue hole and a couple of dives at gabr el bint.
felt sorry to be OW only and not to be able to do the inside of the canyon but it's promised that we'll be back in a couple of months to do the AOW and give another shot at the canyon.
bells to blue hole is also an amazing dive, with the endless wall on one side, and blue on the other... if felt really funny to come up, inside the blue hole, and see a dozen japanese snorklers, fully dressed (skirts and all), fining for their lifes, scared of the mighty blue hole... i even thought about pulling some fins, just for laughs...
gabr el bint was also very cool and, since almost no one was there, we had the whole place for ourselves...

we (wife and i) did all our diving with poseidon divers and we'll do it every time we're in dahab.
the staff was great from the first email contact through the end of our time there. well kept equipment, highly professional staff and a very good location make this a perfect dive center. if this sounds like advertising or marketing... they deserve it. they take the time to make you feel at home and there's no rush to do anything. just take your time and relax...
i had never felt this well treated before.
they will definitely get our business when we're back on the red sea.

dahab itself is a very small town and there's not a lot to do besides the previously mentioned activities. if you're not diving, you're sitting on a pillow, reading a book, looking at the sea.
i tried some of the restaurants that fellow board members spoke about in a previous thread where i asked for directions, and some others. lakhbatita should get a mention because the restaurant looks quite different from all the others, with all sort of antique stuff everywhere (we were told lakhbatita means mess) and the food they serve, real egyptian, tastes like a piece of heaven after a day spent bellow the surface.

final note: spent the last day in sharm, waiting for the flight back home, and i cannot understand sharm! it's a mess! i don't know the dive sites there (which are supposed to be great) but the thousands of people walking around, the buildings las-vegas-style, the hundreds of shops and the glowing plastic palm trees (true) made me feel tired after 10 minutes and i wished i stayed in dahab a couple more hours...

some pictures (not very good though) at www.pbase.com/maiquethai/dahab

mikelegurra:
diving and spending the rest of the day loafing in the pillow stuffed restaurants seems like a very nice way to spend time and... it is!

felt sorry to be OW only and not to be able to do the inside of the canyon but it's promised that we'll be back in a couple of months to do the AOW and give another shot at the canyon.

bells to blue hole is also an amazing dive,

Dude Im so jealous. I just love that place.

The bells makes my top 10 list of a lifetime of divesites. I did it head first and was amazed at the 35m window and stunned when we popped out the bottom at 55m. Then a truly phenomenal drift round to exit in the blue hole.

And the cushions, the cushions, the tea and the shisha. Ahhhh Dahab, truly as prescious as its name implies.

Mikele, glad you enjoyed Dahab. I just came back from there myself yesterday (for the 6th time...) and enjoyed it again.

marc, are you sure about the depth at The Bells? My impression was that you get out to the wall at about 30m and can't continue further down inside the Bells. Out on the wall, of course, you can continue infinitely...

stefo2:
Mikele, glad you enjoyed Dahab. I just came back from there myself yesterday (for the 6th time...) and enjoyed it again.

i'm thinking about going there a lot more...
i just have to figure out where to book my flights/packages.

we have only one agency that deals on diver packages and i guess they take advantage on the monopoly thing. we had to do everything on our own (flights, hotel and diving) and found out, when in dahab, that there are some dutch agencies selling the whole thing for little more than we had to pay for the flight ticket.
it seemed everyone we met was dutch...

obviously i forgot to ask the agency's name and i never saw the guys again...

stefo2:
marc, are you sure about the depth at The Bells? My impression was that you get out to the wall at about 30m and can't continue further down inside the Bells....

It was a couple of years ago, but I definately remember the two stages, and the two exits, one about 30 is and one just over 50. I was narked, but I was not THAT narked.

cancun mark:
It was a couple of years ago, but I definately remember the two stages, and the two exits, one about 30 is and one just over 50. I was narked, but I was not THAT narked.

Very strange. I only dived it last week and I really didn't see it go any deeper. There are two stages, there is one "platform" at about 15m (or 13, or 18) at which you turn around and continue down head first through the narrow part of the Bells, but after that?? Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Great dive anyway, coming out into the bottomless blue is quite special, be it at 30 or 50 metres, and the wall is pretty impressive.

Mikele, I have never booked a package for Dahab because accomodation and diving is so cheap there if arranged locally that I don't think it would be worth it. Sometimes you can get cheap fligh-only deals, but I agree, quite often a package may be a little cheaper. But I'm generally not the package type and especially with diving I prefer to book on as short a notice as possible (basically: walking into the diveshop the day before diving), because you never know whether you might get a cold or something else that will prevent you from diving.

Mikele,

Thanks for the trip report. Glad to hear you had a great time in Dahab.
You have a great dive (inside the Canyon) to look forward to when you go back as an AOW...it ranks up there with Bells/Blue hole.

TEERLKAY:
Mikel,

You have a great dive (inside the Canyon) to look forward to when you go back as an AOW...it ranks up there with Bells/Blue hole.

that's what people keep telling me!
it was a little disapointing hovering above the hole at 18m, looking at the fins of people going by under me and the bubbles coming up from inside the reef and not being able to go in...

it's a big priority now: going back to dahab and do the AOW.

maybe october....

It good to have that Canyon dive to look forward to....it will make for even a better dive!!
If you did not do a night dive at the bells/blue hole, you must add this dive to your next trip also. It's just amazing!!

I enjoyed your pictures...makes me miss Dahab all the more!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom