AZ cave divers AKA A.S.S.E.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair:
Just curious what you mean by that. Carrying stages and/or deco bottles?

Brian

Yep. Carried deco bottles (50%). Had about 18 minutes of combined deco time. Wasn't too extreme.

I wondered the same. I guess that's the difference between Florida and Mexico. Almost every cave dive I've done has a deco obligation.

The majority of Mexico cave dives dont have rack up a deco obligation. The more popular cave dives average a depth of 30-40ft.
A few are deeper. Carwash can get deeper and so can Camillo and a few others. BUt even these are 60-65ft or so. Deco bottles are more to extend our penetration then for deco. We did a 2 stage dive that lasted 3hrs and 12min and incurred a 5 min deco obligation.

I've heard that about the caves in Mexico. In Florida it's a little different. The most shallow caves I know of are Peacock I, starts at about 45' and gets shallower. Most of the cave dives I've done average about 90'. We breathe 32% and usually play in the shallower cavern zone for a while before exiting, so deco is usually in the 10-15 minute range.

I'm not a cave diver yet, but that is one of my top goals for diving. I am starting my Advanced classes soon (gotta start somewhere). I would appreciate any advice on how to get good training, good equipment, etc. Hope to be diving caves soon.

Hollywood, are you in Arizona? If so, come out to Lake Pleasant some time. You can usually find a few cave divers hanging around keeping our skills up.

Back
Top Bottom