avg water temps w/7MM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regul8r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On avg what would you folks think would be the tolerable temp range (in F) of a 7MM suit?

I've done dives down to 42 F in my Bare 7mm fullsuit with 7mm hooded vest. The key issue is the surface temps during the SI, staying warm and getting out of the cold/wind and then drying your suit or getting it warm before the second dive.

They aren't much use below 50 IMHO, but I do have a lower tolerance for cold. With a warmer climate, it doesn't matter--just open the zipper! You'll cool down in no time.

50f-75f, colder than 50 is pushing it for me and warmer than 75 I can handle with a 5mm LOL!
Ber :lilbunny:

you have to consider your work load, body composition (some have extra insulation. as well as your surface support. 40 should be the limit

To expand a bit, I'm toasty in my 7mm between 60-70. In the 70's I use my Pinnacle 3mm. I'm comfortable, but not quite toasty, in my 7mm in the 50s. I have found the 40s manageable in my 7mm with 7mm hooded vest, but far from toasty.

regul8r:
On avg what would you folks think would be the tolerable temp range (in F) of a 7MM suit?

How many dives per day and what duration do you want?
This has a major impact on the answer.
The amount of neoprene I need for 1 - 2 dives can be quite different from that required to do 4 dives in a day without feeling cold on the last dive.

regul8r:

In a 7mm w/ 2X on the core such as a John & Jacket of fullsuit & step-in vest 50F is a common cut-off point I hear.

In my fullsuit & hooded step-in vest I have done pairs of dives and been quite OK in 50F. Theses were :50 shore dives and oddly I tend to be more comfortable on dive 2. Neoprene socks and gauntlet gloves help a lot along with priming the suit with warm water pre-dive.

I have gone wet in 40F and it was manageable albeit an adventure. On a summertime dive to 45F below a freshwater thermocline I don't think twice about being wet for the relatively breif exposure knowing it will be 30F or more warmer closer to the surface.

In the summertine where our minimum ocean temp may be 60F on a dive I drop back to a 7mm fullsuit and 3/5 hooded chicken vest and dive in total comfort.

Now that I have a drysuit I start thinking of going dry around 55F even though I truly prefer diving wet.

Judging by buddies I tolerate cold better than most so YMMV

Pete

Interesting thoughts... From all. Thinking that surface temps will be in the mid to lower 60's with the thermo dropping into the 40's.. so with the 7MM and a 5/3 hood.. 5MM gloves.. I should be okay....

Those are pretty typical temperatures for that type of exposure protection.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom