Average/ Longest Decompression and your Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what my longest is, but I did 108 minutes of deco this Sunday after playing around in eagle's nest for two hours. Usually tough I tend to try and keep it under 40 minutes off deco

Daru

so i put a similar thread up on the deco stop to see what people there had to say. and a few ppl brought up something kind funny. They call it "Deco Wars" anyone do that? it seems its a way of messing with your buddies by moving stuff around on there config and swapping things between divers with out them noticing it. Seems kinda mean to me but idk really.

Just over 2 hours as the longest, typical is 30min or so.

I have a iDive300 to watch a movie if it's >30min.
They make those? To watch a movie, or better, read a book under water, on deco, that would be heaven!
As I was getting my 4 MRIs in one day and I've had 11 MRIs in the past 4 months, I was thinking about this. I'm hoping to take tech classes and start doing tech diving, once I get these bones taken care of and getting multiple MRIs is sort of like being doing deco, especially when they add up to 4 hours worth all at once.
So, I was trying to zone out in the MRI and was thinking the exact same thing, what do you do/think about to pass the time on deco? These 4 hour stretches of serial MRIs are killers! One day, I had both hips,knees and ankles done! That was the worst!

Normal runs about 25-35 minutes, longest was 4hrs 23 minutes......BORING ;O.......

I was kinda just wondering, what is the average decompression time for the majority of the dives you guys do (tech dives). As well as the longest deco time you have successfully completed. what do you normally think about / do when the stops are substantially long.

i have not completed a Adv. EANx/ Desat. yet :cool2:, but during NDL ascents from "deep" sites with multiple stop i kinda always zone out or just take in the view. Though on really rough days i wonder how anyone gets through any substantial deco obligation when the current is blowing like crazy. My tech instructor said drift deco helps with that. She also mentioned that in caves she will normally have favorite little spots to do deco where she kinda just sits at and chills till the stop is done.

so pretty much im kinda interested in knowing about the experience of just sitting there doing nothing but minding the dive plan and your thoughts.
Drifting deco is fun when you've got clear water next to a deep reef wall with abundant big fish & pelagic action to see, in tropical warm waters and hearing the dive skiff/boat crew above clearly tracking your SMB.

Not so in murky cold waters; in the shipping lanes to major ports like Singapore or Los Angeles/Long Beach; or off east coast Sri Lanka (WWII aircraft carrier HMS Hermes) Bay of Bengal/Indian Ocean where the next landmass after Diego Garcia is Antarctica. IOW, you get your SMB up from depth ASAP by at least your 50% stop at 21 meters, and concentrate on keeping it upright so your surface crew can track you. . . (and hope you don't get run over by container ships & supertankers).:shocked2:

I try to plan my dives so that I'm doing my deco on the way out of the cave. The longest I've ever had to hang out in a cenote to deco was 20 minutes.

Generally somewhere in the 45-60 minute range for deco, occasionally around 90, a couple close to two hours. I've got a couple of dives planned that'll involve 3 hours + deco, but they won't happen until all the logistics fall into place...

Time just... Passes, usually. Dicking about with team-mates, conversations in sign language, daydreaming, looking at the pretty fishes if we're decoing up the reef. All that slide-and-pause stuff early in the ascent is so frantic, it's usually a relief to get to the longer stops and just zone out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I try to plan my dives so that I'm doing my deco on the way out of the cave. The longest I've ever had to hang out in a cenote to deco was 20 minutes.

Thats the way to do it, or at least a portion of the deco.

30-90 minutes would be average deco for the wrecks here in South Florida. Longest deco was 5 1/2 hours. We had support divers that brought us camelbacks with hydration and Ipods in cases for our listening pleasure. Even with those things it was a long time.

On average dives we do a lot of drift deco so we see all kinds of things. But We have been known to screw with each other to pass the time too. Stealing gear off one diver and adding it to another without them knowing is a favorite.

I'm a deco wimp. 30 min is the longest deco I've had after switching to 02. I average 10-15 min usually. I don't like doing much more than that because in cave diving the deco stops get boring very quickly. One can only play with the fish for so long if there are any fish to be found. :)

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one.

20mins is about my longest so far. I try to plan dives that don't involve a lot of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom