Average life expectancy of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When considering whether to invest in my own gear, I did consider the cost of purchasing vs. renting. But the most important consideration to me was having my own gear to dive with that I KNEW had been serviced properly...it was more of a trust factor. I don't mean to insinuate that all rental gear is not trustworthy, but it's certainly a consideration.

As long as you take care of your gear there is no reason you can't get 20 years out of the same gear. Make sure you clean it, keep it indoors, not in the garage. Do your annual services. You will have the gear for a very very long time.

Most of my gear is ancient (with the exception of my dive computers). Several of my tanks date back to the 70s and are still very functional. Regs date back to the 80s and 90s. BC is about 10 years old and has thousands of dives on it. Fins are about 10 years old, although I should replace one that got damaged against the rocks. My wetsuits generally only last 2-3 years although I have one that is now about 20 years old. I only wear it on special occasions (due to all the holes and patches). And I don't take the greatest care of my gear... and dive it often.

Any thoughts on low pressure hose life? My gear is five years old with about 80 dives total, taken care of, and stored inside in a dark air conditioned closet. I don't know the hose manufacturer.

High pressure hose was recently replaced when weeping tiny bubbles (hose was for an Aeris AI computer), so that got me thinking about the low pressure hoses........

I have regs made in the 70's that are still on the original hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom