August Industries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrimixToo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was visiting the Dallas area this week, and had a chance to stop by August Industries in Carrollton, TX. Porter Stiles, the owner, happened to be in, and willing to take some time to say hello. Not only that, but to give me a tour of the facility! Porter is a tall, fit-looking guy who is justifiably proud of the business he's built. The facility was at least three times the size I'd expected it to be. This is perhaps the largest Bauer facility in the USA. The bins in the parts rooms don't have one part each in them...they hold bags of ten or twenty each. In the shop/warehouse area, there are large vertical racks with boxes holding used compressors along two walls.

They specialize in municipal fire department size units--which is to say BIG ones! Never mind using one of these things as a personal compressor, or even one for a big dive club. With 15-20HP on tap, with integral DOT or ASME tanks and fill containment bins all inside the same frame as the compressor, these bad boys stand maybe 7' tall, 5' wide, and 8' long. They eat 3-phase power, and lots of it. Alongside, though, are smaller units suitable for the likes of divers and dive shops everywhere.

They deal in used and new compressors, and rebuild them in-house. Porter knows the details of every nut and bolt, though his techs do the actual work. A nice lathe and a milling/drilling machine stand ready when needed, as do enclosed spray parts washers for aluminum parts. Y'know; blocks, pistons, stuff like that.

In person, Porter is a soft-spoken gentleman. He came out to meet my wife and grandson (who was sleeping when I popped by), and spent at least 5-10 minutes giving someone directions to get her where she was going. I'm glad I was able to thank him in person for his patient support and the good deals on new and used compressor-related bits and pieces that have allowed me to upgrade my older Bauer K14-85 compressor over the past few years.

I was visiting the Dallas area this week, and had a chance to stop by August Industries in Carrollton, TX. Porter Stiles, the owner, happened to be in, and willing to take some time to say hello. Not only that, but to give me a tour of the facility! Porter is a tall, fit-looking guy who is justifiably proud of the business he's built. The facility was at least three times the size I'd expected it to be. This is perhaps the largest Bauer facility in the USA. The bins in the parts rooms don't have one part each in them...they hold bags of ten or twenty each. In the shop/warehouse area, there are large vertical racks with boxes holding used compressors along two walls.

They specialize in municipal fire department size units--which is to say BIG ones! Never mind using one of these things as a personal compressor, or even one for a big dive club. With 15-20HP on tap, with integral DOT or ASME tanks and fill containment bins all inside the same frame as the compressor, these bad boys stand maybe 7' tall, 5' wide, and 8' long. They eat 3-phase power, and lots of it. Alongside, though, are smaller units suitable for the likes of divers and dive shops everywhere.

They deal in used and new compressors, and rebuild them in-house. Porter knows the details of every nut and bolt, though his techs do the actual work. A nice lathe and a milling/drilling machine stand ready when needed, as do enclosed spray parts washers for aluminum parts. Y'know; blocks, pistons, stuff like that.

In person, Porter is a soft-spoken gentleman. He came out to meet my wife and grandson (who was sleeping when I popped by), and spent at least 5-10 minutes giving someone directions to get her where she was going. I'm glad I was able to thank him in person for his patient support and the good deals on new and used compressor-related bits and pieces that have allowed me to upgrade my older Bauer K14-85 compressor over the past few years.

"The bins in the parts rooms don't have one part each in them...they hold bags of each."

Do you think he could fill some tanks with these ten or twenty's?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom