Aug 8th MAG boat dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some masks that will help against the Sea Nettle attack...

6egrdh.jpg

2mwc7b4.jpg

16hm3bq.jpg

t8swzt.jpg

14desdl.jpg

I use the EXO26 (yellow top picture) all the time, except ours are black - it's a real pain in the ass, and would be way more trouble than it's worth for recreational scuba diving. We use them in an on-demand setup and they breath really hard, I would imagine a positive pressure setup, using an umbilical would probably be much nicer.

I use the EXO26 (yellow top picture) all the time, except ours are black - it's a real pain in the ass, and would be way more trouble than it's worth for recreational scuba diving. We use them in an on-demand setup and they breath really hard, I would imagine a positive pressure setup, using an umbilical would probably be much nicer.

Casey,

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone can relax, I'm not interested in a FFM at all. I simply wanted to have fun with the post on the Sea Nettles. :D

When Ron mentioned he had tried one, I out of curiosity asked what it is like? :wink:

I believe but don't quote me since I don't have the GUE manual, whether or not a FFM is DIR/GUE compliant. To my understanding it is NOT!! :confused:

I'm headed down that road, I want to train as a Tech diver because it fits my interest with diving. So that is one reason all my gear is DIR compliant down to the light I use.

I'm coming close to 100 logged dives and if all goes well, am turing the way of UTD to get my fudies started this fall, I'm very excited about this event in my future diving.

P.S
Brian, I should've mentioned that the boat rocking was the reason some divers got sick and didn't start the dive or complete the second. I've been there before, that is why if you recall it was I that brought you some fresh water to rinse your mouth before your dive.

That was done for me twice on my first two boat dives that I did when I refused to take medication for the rocking. Both captains were awesome and cared for me as I turned my insides out.

I have been there and know the feeling, don't want to be there again. I rather abort the dive if ever that happen to me again, I dove and completed my dives but the nausea did make me feel weak.

I learned a lot and will not dive if I'm ever sick like that again, you did the right thing on dive two, plus you didn't miss much, viz was not as great as your first dive. :wink:

Hey Ernst,

You are funny, brother I'm done buying equipment, I have all I need and am having a great time diving it...

Just ask anyone that dove with me at the MAG, I dove both dives successful with all my gear, not new anymore, it's old... :D

Thanks,

MG

Yup, I can attest to that. He was a great dive buddy at the M&G...but he did mention trying something new on the 2nd dive and I got a little nervous. :wink: Just giving you a hard time Mike. It was great diving with you.

Ron....

Don't give him any encouragment....

MikeG.... The damn thing sucks and you don't want it!!!:popcorn:

Come on now. I actually own one of those. They definitely require some getting used to, but they aren't bad at all. Are they worth it just to avoid some sea nettles...hell no!

I will have to stick up for Mike as well. He did good.

Now Michelle...That's another story:wink:

Come on now. I actually own one of those. They definitely require some getting used to, but they aren't bad at all. Are they worth it just to avoid some sea nettles...hell no!

I will have to stick up for Mike as well. He did good.

Now Michelle...That's another story:wink:

Hey! :mooner:

To answer your question mike, I tried the mask in the pool, They don't flood unless you intentionaly flood them, they breath a little harder than your normal reg, but not too much, it was pretty easy actually. To clear them if I remember right you just block the exhaust and let the positive pressure force water out. it cleared real quick.

Now the real down side. If you have to switch to an alternate air source, your without a mask. unless you carry a spare in your pocket.
Also I thought the communication was hard to understand.

I can just see it now:
Large sea nettle sends in the small ones to distract you while it gets behind you and cuts your primary air hose. As soon as you remove the mask to go for the alternate the entire swarm turns for the attack.

I found that the sea nettles seem to swarm in the same direction. On you ascent, face towards the sea nettles and using the Mr. Miyagi “wax on / wax off” defense move you can bat most of them away from your face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom