Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking about boat traffic awareness, not anything DCI related.
Does it matter at a safety stop? The final ascent when there is the possibility of boat traffic should definitely not be horizontal.

Does it matter at a safety stop? The final ascent when there is the possibility of boat traffic should definitely not be horizontal.
Ok then. Horizontal when shallow.

At what point does DIR allow you to break trim? 2nd rung of the ladder?

Ok then. Horizontal when shallow.

At what point does DIR allow you to break trim? 2nd rung of the ladder?
So I've had this converation with a GUE instructor. In no way do they expect people to be trim all the time. They just practice it a lot to be able to do so. Real world diving, only when applicable (like finning around).

My PADI rescue instructor who also is a TDI ANDP and other tech instructor did the GUE course before he became a tech instructor.
He said he learned some good things from the GUE course. I asked him should I do the course and he replied for the diving I do not necessary. I'm not going to knock someone with they believe they are better trained than I am. Occasionally I get paired with UK divers who are BSAC trained.

Unless I am diving with a regular dive buddy I am diving with insta buddies and PADI guides. Simply GUE is not used for recreational dives. Yes many of these people are the once a year divers but many are also instructors and other people who dive regularly on vacation.

I find more and more PADI instructors are doing tech course and even become tech instructors. I know many PADI shops now offer TDI ANDP and other even more advanced courses.

On one dive in June a woman who was a tech diver and instructor I was paired up with saw my Perdix. She inquired as to my settings, asked me about GF settings, surf GF and some other questions about deco and gas consumption and sac rate. She said wow you know a lot more than the average PADI rescue diver. I then explained I had done BSAC Sports deco diving certs. Back in the mid 80's lol.

She said but you didn't have a perdix then with GF and Surf GF etc. No I laughed, no spg, no octopus, the jvalve, tables and a watch and lot of real pre dive planning with BSAC. Sort of like the wild wild west. I said my Perdix is great for planning but it makes me lazy to use tables. Also I have never done a proper dive plan for an NDL dive. It's just don't exceed deco and if time restricted dive to that and if no time limit at least have 30 bar at surface.

I am going to do a dive this month in Keelung Taiwan. The PADI instructor said her DC is very basic TUSA TC1, so she will stay 5m above me on the dives. I'm like yeah ok what happened to diving with your buddy lol Site is max depth 25m only. I will dive nitrox. She said in the beginning she only offered 40 minute dives because divers in Taiwan can't do more than that time. I'm like stop diving with OW divers with no experience. I said I would pay more for at least 1 hour dives and 3 dives a day not 2. She agreed.

If a GUE trained diver wants to dive with me fine, it not fine. After all my padi rescue instructor still dives with me lol

This thread is motivating me to ditch my BP/W and long hose and go with a Michelin man BC with 60 lbs of lift, 20 D rings, weight pockets for 40 lbs of lead, 5 retractors and an Air2 inflator so I can piss off the broadest audience possible 😂

I was really really lucky got this BCD for a cheap price before the company went out of business.
I bought my APEX regs second hand from an instructor who had changed the hoses to longer than standard.
Not as long as your long hose. You should see the lift capability of this BCD.

SCUBA PRO X BLACK XXL.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom