Attention MK-15 aficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...ports opened to allow water to come into the ambient chamber to measure transmit the pressure.

The spec boot (the rubber cover piece) is only for look.

No, the SPEC boot retains the grease inside the ambient chamber. Being flexible it also transmits ambient pressure to the grease and in turn to the piston. The trim boot, like the one found on your MK15, is mainly dressing but may also provide a bit of protection against impact. The trim boot has nothing to do with transmitting ambient pressure or holding grease in the ambient chamber.

The ambient chamber can be packed with grease whether a SPEC boot is installed or not. However the grease is not as protected from loss as it is with a boot.

DIY spec boot is to cover those ports not allowing salt water come in to the ambient chamber while still able to measure the pressure. Silicon is able to move in and out of the ports. Did I get it right?

Pretty much correct-but the original SPEC boots do the same as the DIY boots. I think what might be the source of confusion is perhaps you've seen a picture of a MK10 trim boot that also fit over the ambient ports. The MK10 trim boot had holes in it and was there for aesthetics.

Grease (silicone or PTFE) does enter and exit the ambient chamber (in very small amounts) to allow for piston movement. That is one purpose of the boot-to prevent loss of grease.

Thanks couv, thanks rsingler,
I am more clear now. There is a spec boot and a trim boot...
Did MK10/MK15 come out with spec boot or was it an option we have to get separately?
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom