Attention MK-15 aficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I lost track of where I was with @couv and @buddhasummer. Too much coming at me too fast (IRL).

Let's start a new thread. I have three MK-15's that I want to get back into service. Swivel and environmentally sealed is the reason. Perfect for singles. 15's have a complicated past, others know far better than I.

@couv, I'll send you my three 15's and a plate that I milled to insure that opening those ****s won't damage them. The plate isn't perfect. It is yours for the trouble of evaluating my 15's. The plate is yours.

You game?

MK15 tool.jpg

On a related note...anyone know where I could get an MK15 SPEC boot or something similar that will work?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. :-( The MK15 was a fine regulator, but my advice is to ditch them and obtain either a good set of MK25s or if you want to stay old school a set of MK10 SPEC models.

You see, there are no parts available. The MK15 was an odd bird, and then was upgraded to make it even odder. The seats are not available as they are unique to the 15. FWIW the old SP P/N 10.600.122; new SP P/N 10.600.123 I know that's not good news, but it is a sad reality. If SP had continued to use the same seat as the MK10 Plus, all would be well as that seat is now found in the MK20/25. Additionally, there are other unique parts required for a MK15 service visit that are near impossible to find. Yes, a few can be found at Store | Vintage Double Hose but no seats.

Have a look at the two kit charts below. The MK10, a much older regulator is included, as it the MK20/25...but SP skips right over the MK15.

Sorry my friend.

first stage and tank valve kits.PNG

Annual Replac. Kit Table.jpg

That's a bummer as I'm currently using a pair of MK15s as my cave set. I think I have 5-6 seats for them laying around and several of the little plastic bushings. They seem to last forever between rebuilds, at least 3-4 years. So I should still get a decade or more of use out of mine, even if I can't find any seats on the grey market.

@halocline Do you have the old or new style seats? Also, if you do find a source please advise as the OP is stuck for parts.

Nothing like waking up to bad news--I recently acquired a MK15 which came with a service kit and was planning on working on it this week. No wonder the regulator was practically free--it came along with a computer and console that I wanted. It also came with a G200B. I installed a new poppet (upgraded) and, after I thought I had it all just right, if you push the purge button (out of the water) it gets sucked down and gets stuck. This seem to be easily remedied by sticking it in my mouth (out of the water) but I'm wondering if this is going to be reliable underwater. Is this normal on this second stage? I hadn't noticed but the tank I was using was almost empty so maybe that was a factor. I checked the tank pressure after another regulator suddenly had low IP. I'll know more later.

If the seat is about 1/2", white plastic then I have a new seat for the first stage :) Judging from the tone of this thread it sounds like nobody has found a substitute. :(

I might have one seat lying around. I'll look...

@JamesBon92007 Does your MK15 have a hex key hole on the hp seat retainer or does the retainer have 2 pin holes? Either way, have a look at the last page of the attached manual for some important seat/retainer compatibility information.

Attachments

• MK15ServiceManual.PDF
    1.7 MB · Views: 258
Yah, I knew SP stopped supporting 15’s but I’m still hopeful HP seats can be found or “produced” when I need one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom