Attention: Big surf is no joke on the north shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Last Saturday while working the education outreach tent for Malama Pupukea Waimea, we witness an all too often event at Sharks Cove. These two people learned the hard way what big surf on the north shore is capable of doing with little or no warning.
Visitors to Hawaii, please use caution when enjoying your stay on these beautiful islands. If the rocks are wet, or the sand is smooth, that means the oceans has been there before and will be there again!
Also, never turn your back on the waves.

Amazing that either has any skin left on their bodies....being pushed over those lava rocks would be like sliding on a cheese grater! Glad they're okay.

They ought to put this video on all the monitors at the airport so incoming tourist can get a clue. As you said it happens far to often. Saw the same exact thing at Blowhole, and that was after I told the big dummy that the warning sign was there for a reason. A BIG honkin wave took him right off the top. Had to be rescued by the Seadoo guys. Good video Drew.

Glad you put that up for everyone to see Drew. I see it here on Maui far too often as well. People just don't understand the power and danger that exists along the shore. It is so beautiful and alluring but it can turn around and bite you just like that. Advice to anyone who wants to spend time along the shoreline is the same over and over: Do Not Turn Your Back on the Ocean!! Listen to local guides with local knowledge. Heed the Warning Signs. If In Doubt, Don't Go Out!

Any follow-up on the condition of the people? The lady looked pretty torn up on her right butt cheek/thigh and the guy had multiple scrapes. If you think this hurt when it happened it's nothing compared to the second and third day after! That I know for sure!

Having almost lost a camera during shore entry on Saturday, I've learned NEVER underestimate the force of a wave...seen or unseen. Too bad those too had to learn that lesson the hard way. Painful just watching...

The worst part of the whole thing was videotaping what I knew was going to happen and nothing could be done...they were outside of yelling range. We were ready with a cell phone and 911 dialed and waiting to press "call".
HTA should use this video for a PSA and play it on all planes arriving to Hawaii.

Not sure if you knew about this or not but KHNL showed your video on their evening news tonight. Sad that things like this happen but hopefully some people will learn from others mistakes when they see the aftermath.

I rode my bike up there last weekend... OMG, I could only watch this and gasp. Any news on the couple? Thanks Drew, hopefully your efforts might be seen by others and learn from this!

Back
Top Bottom