Attack on jpegs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know if many people have noticed this but I received word of a potential attack on jpegs. As many people look at the images on this site through IE, I wonder what scope there is for an infection spreading. Don't panic - it is still in its early stages but I was just wondering because Microsoft seem complacent, does that not mean we indeed should be bothered? Here is the news story: JPEG virus imminent

I believe the potential for this has been around for years. I recall seeing a movie on TV once where .jpeg images were used to hide 'mission impossible' style messages that could be retrieved by an intended viewer using an encryption key. Someone without the key would see only an innocent picture.

Yeah, I got that application, it is pretty neat!!!

From: http://apnews.myway.com//article/20040929/D85D0VT01.html

Sep 28, 9:29 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - In a harbinger of security threats to come, hackers have exploited a newly announced flaw in Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) programs and begun circulating malicious code hidden in images that use the popular JPEG format.

Software tools to create the malicious images began appearing last month, and this week security experts saw images employing them posted on adult-oriented Usenet newsgroups.

To get the malicious code, a visitor must download the image and view it using Microsoft's Windows Explorer software, said Oliver Friedrichs, senior manager with Symantec Security Response.

The computer then contacts a server to obtain code that would let an attacker take over the machine remotely.

Friedrichs said the current exploit is fairly limited but that he expects future attempts to create malicious images that would work on the more popular Outlook and Internet Explorer programs, also made by Microsoft.

The Internet Storm Center at the SANS Institute said an image it found, disclosed on the BugTraq security mailing list, only caused computers to crash in tests, but "we suspect that a working exploit is very close to widespread availability."

Computers with updated versions of anti-virus software should be protected, according to SANS center. Microsoft also has a software patch to fix the flaw and said users who have the Service Pack 2 security update for Windows XP are not affected.

Microsoft disclosed the flaw in question on Sept. 14. It affects people running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and later versions of Office.

People who have earlier versions of Windows or Office may also be affected if they are running some specialized applications, such as Digital Image Pro and Visio 2002. The flaw is in a technology that is used to render JPEG images.

ewong:
...time to switch to Mozilla Firefox. Anybody using Firefox or Opera?
Eddy.

Most of the folks I work with use FireFox. No problems. 'Course you have to keep IE around to do your Microsoft Updates.

I also use Pegasus for my email. That way I don't have to worry about the Outlook viruses, either.

Firefox rules. I have been upgrading faithfully, so I'm running 1.0PR, and it's working very well. I used to use Opera, but found Firefox to be more to my liking.

Years back when I worked in the free hosting market many of my clients (free hosts) would discover sites with thousands of huge images that loaded up small pictures. It turned out that these images were really masking hidden data used to pirate files. People had created a full on program that would automatically grab all the images and download them, remove the image part of the code and extract the data to turn into microsoft office or whatever the program was. Clearly the exploit is not new, it's just only become an issue recently.

Firefox eliminates most of the virus threats from security holes in IE as it's not tied in with the operating system and you can find some really handy extensions. I've been using Version 1.0 with no problems. For E-Mail we use Eudora 6.1 for the same reason. Both programs work flawlessly with Win XP Pro. Since Microsoft decided they were no longer support previous operating systems with security updates I think a lot of the IE share of the browser domination will end. :11:

Just my O2 worth

You need to actually download the image, then double click on the file to open it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom