Attaching reg/octo/gauges/etc to 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey

Quckie question: is this something that's best left to the shop or something I can do myself, and are there any special procedures or things beyond simply screwing the things into the ports?

cheers

Billy S.

Similar question has been asked in the past. I haven't done this myself but I am pretty sure that most manufacturers have made it somewhat fool proof as far as a LP hose fitting in a HP port and vice versa. Of course it doesn't hurt to have your LDS take a look at it but if you didn't buy the regs there then they will probably want to charge you.

It's not hard to do at all and there is no reason you can't. Just be careful not to pinch the o-ring or over tighten. Remember, the first stage is probably brass and the fitting on the hose is a harder metal.

Moogyboy:
hey

Quckie question: is this something that's best left to the shop or something I can do myself, and are there any special procedures or things beyond simply screwing the things into the ports?

cheers

Billy S.
It's very simple to do. As already said the LP and HP ports have different size threads so you can't confuse them. The only thing to be aware of is that you get everything on the correct side so that the hoses route properly i.e regs coming from the right - LP inflator and HP hose coming from the left.

Use allen wrenches to remove the appropriate plugs. HP and LP ports on modern regs are slightly different sizes, so you don't have to worry about mixing up the two.

Screw in the hoses finger tight, then lightly snug it up with a small crescent wrench. The o-ring makes the seal, so you don't have to be too tight. To keep from crossthreading the fittings, I find it easiest to start off rotating counterclockwise a partial turn to get everything lined up.

Some people recommend a very light coating of silicone grease on the o-rings. I don't bother.

I think that this is where the hesitation lies. In how tight to tighten the hoses. Yes it is something that you can easily do yourself, but I think that if you have any suspicions, you should take it in to the shop. Even if it costsyou 10 bucks. I think that is a good price for peace of mind with life support equipment.

Back
Top Bottom