Attaching camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard not to use a brass clip, but a stainless steel one.

Because the salt water eats away at the brass over time, it gets rough. Stainless does not!

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/1361.html#.

The brass clips are defiantly problematic in salt water. The brass clips are a pain in the butt and the nickel plated are just about as bad. There’s nothing like having a clip that won’t release when you need it to. I’ve gone to all stainless steel and think the extra $ is WELL worth it. I got most of mine from McMaster Carr, here’s the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/1361.html#. part number 3913T56 .

As for suicide clips, the name says it all.

Very few accessory items, such as the coiled lanyard, are available with SS clips. We've gotten luck in the recent past that anything but those dinky plastic clips are available to us.

I keep our brass clips well oiled with WD40 and have had no problems.

Dee once bubbled...
I keep our brass clips well oiled with WD40 and have had no problems.

I was talking to some guys about the use of oil vs. WD40 and they said that WD40 is bad for keeping things for long time.
The reason WD40 and alikes can free rust is that they have some chemicals that can eat the ruast and mettals to a degree. What I was told that as a preservative I'd better use normal Oil, as it does not eveporise and don't contain such chemicals.
Also why not use Silicon Grees ?

Personaly I'v made my own lanyards for the camera. I have one that is attached to my BCD with a lanyard as long as my arm, and a second one with just a sort strap that is tied to my arm.
.Me not have money ;-0 and so .Me not want loos camera.
I had to save a full year just for a used PT-005. I don't have the funds for a new Oly + Housing.

And worse case senario - I release the BCD and inflate it with the camera attached so it will reach the serface, and be sent to my brother, while I stay down with the shark bitting it's head off. :eek:ut:

>>Sorry about your lost gear. This is what the deck hands are there for. You hand them your camera BEFORE getting out of the water then get yourself out. <<

That's what I've been wondering about the clip /bungee set up. Personally I like to hand my camera up to the crew, if I leave it all clipped on the BC won't it all get completely banged around when they haul it onboard. Do you unclip it and hand it up?
Right now my Light cannon is clipped on but my camera is on Lanyard on wrist. Towards end of dive it goes in my BC pocket out of the way which has plenty of room and on the surface it comes out of there and gets handed up - this would depend on surface conditions obviously but usually works ok.
Should I bungee clip it on BC and then unclip it on surface?

Might as well contribute my $.02. I use what I consider the best of both worlds. I have a small Sony that has a coiled lanyard with a cheap plastic clip. My trick is getting into and out of the water the camera is in a BC pocket protected from banging and getting lost. In the water, I pull it out of the pocket, unclip the lanyard and ready for use. If not in use I slip it under my BC strap.

All of your problems are not how you attach your camera, but the size of your rig. :)

My last post should have read "what would I need insurance for?":wink:

Thank you all for your sympathy.:alright:

I like the idea of having both hands free, especially with the ladder bouncing up and down.

The coil clip had maybe 6 inches of length when clipped together, so the camera really won't flop much.

I will use one again, either by modifying the one I have or buying another.

Also, if you are going to lose your camera I recommend doing it on a sailboat in a tropical paradise, makes it sooo much easier.

Ken

I personally wouldn't hand my gear up with the camera in the pocket as my BC pockets wouldn't prevent the camera being banged against something and the crew wouldn't even know it was there to watch out for it. It could very easily end up on its side on top of the camera or under other gear.

Back
Top Bottom