Attaching camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofL:

It was easier to replace the lanyard than the D-ring on my harness! :eek:ut:

I also use a setup like Crazy_J. I have probably over a thousand dives using this type of setup on my housed camera, Nik V, and Video set up. I have, seen hundreds of sharks, swam through schools of barracuda, been buzzed by large stingrays. I have gotten up close and personal with large morays, stonefish, lionfish, fish bigger than me. I have never felt it necessary to use my rig as a defensive weapon. Though if I did, the way I use a lanyard would not prevent me from doing so. The only time I have ever been "Attacked" is by an over zealous spade fish that mistook my ear for a handout (my bad, never feed hotdogs to a school of fish that have teeth :-} ). I am aware of my gear and have never had an entanglement problem, but if I did, the rig is easy to unclip. I have been a donor in an OOA situation. Was able to drop the camera and handle the situation. If it hadn’t been on a lanyard, it would have been gone. If it were a situation where it would have caused problems, it would have been detached with one hand and let go. You should be familiar with “all” you equipment, even you cameras and lanyards. You should be able to operate all equipment, including all releases, by feel. I sometimes dive with more than one camera, each camera has it’s own lanyard attached. Either my buddy holds the other camera, or it sits at the bottom of the descent line. Swapping is a simple matter of un-clip and clip. I’m not saying you should or should not use a lanyard. You should do what ever “You” are most comfortable with. This, as always, is just my opinion; your mileage may, and probably will, vary.

Thanks for putting it into words!

I also used something similar to attach the camera to my BC.
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=976&parentCategory=974&sort=prsdesc

I went on a couple of trips, using my camera with no attachment. I have to say that after getting the lanyard, it was a lot more comfortable. I don't have to worry about dropping my camera when I need 2 hands. Usually the lanyard magnet thingy is separated when I hold the camera but when I want both free hands, then I attach the magnet thingy and keep the camera closer to my body. I picked the magna clip over the regular clip just because I can use just my left hand to attach or detach the clip while holding the camera at the same time.

The only bad thing about it is that the magnet is quite strong and when I am close to the sand bottom, sometimes I do get odd things stucked to the magna clip.

ssra30 once bubbled...
the magnet thingy

DON'T GET THE MAGNET THINGY NEAR THE CAMERA!!!

If you do it may erase all the images on your cards. Magnets and storage devices don't mix.

TedJ

TedJ once bubbled...

DON'T GET THE MAGNET THINGY NEAR THE CAMERA!!!

If you do it may erase all the images on your cards. Magnets and storage devices don't mix.

TedJ

Opps, good point, I did not even think about that. However, since I use an ikelite housing with a nice thick polycarbonated material and there is some space between the camera and the housing, I think it should be enough distance to keep the media card away from the magnet. I already did several dives with this set up and so far so good. I will keep an eye on it though.

Hello,

While your following urban legends don't get that digital camera next to wrecks either as they contain lots of magnetic media.

Ed

Incedentally enough, It is possible to erase images on a flash card, but it is much more difficult than say a floppy disk. The flashcards are basically NVRAM and store the information differently than other forms of "magnetic media", though caution is still advised....

Cheers,
Crazy_J
:doctor:

Crazy_j's comment:

There is NO magnetic component to NVRAM storage. It is microcapacitor/IC based and will not be affected by any magnetic field weak enough to be carried on your person.

The only thing to really keep away from magnaclips is the darned compass........

Thanks for the clarification. I started to wonder about changing the clip but I guess I don't need to now. My compass is nowhere near the camera/magna clip when I need to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom