Attaching camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I have just got an ikelite housing for my camera and am wondering, should it be attched at all to myself like a light? I'm guessing it should be but what should I use?

Hello,

NEVER attach your housing to your body while in the water. It's extremely dangerous and highly problematic. I have seen several cases where the camera had to be droped or used as a weapon and left behind while the diver made it out with their life. Had the camera been attached to their body very nasty results would have happened.

Ed

I use a coiled lanyard on my camera. Look here for an example. In fact, Leisure Pro has it on sale for only a few more days! :D

We had a discussion not long ago about attaching our cameras to ourselves. There have been several times, for various reasons, when I needed both hands and the lanyard allowed me to drop or turn loose of my camera. It was securely attached to me, out of the way, and easily retreivable. In case of a real emergancy, it's easy to unclip and drop if needed. But as a general rule, I've just needed temporary use of both hands.

I haven't been carrying my housing for too long, but this is what I've been using (see attached pic).

It's minus a suicide clip, which is good. I can sometimes even use the camera without undoing the latch. I've just got it clipped to the top D-ring on my harness

My PT-015 housing doesn't really have anywhere else to thread a cord through, so I've got it rigged along with the hand strap that came with the housing. Someday if I get a tray I'd hook it around the tray somehow. Basically, it would be good if you can hook the camera to yourself so you have both hands free.

Hello,

I have seen animal attacks, including sharks, barracuda, fish among other things. I have seen entanglements, in water rescues and the like that are all good reasons to not attach it to your person. I also frequently have more than 1 camera with me on a dive.

Ed

As long as it's rigged so that it can be easily detached, I don't see any problem. If you need to use it as a weapon or ditch it, simply detach and have at it.

I use a setup similar to Dr. Jay differing only slightly, more of a carabineer setup (thus more quickly attachable / removable if needed)

Connect_Snappy1.jpg

The nice thing, you can just release the camera if you need both hands as Dee stated "This I also have had to do on many an occasion", or if you are not going to be shooting any photos, use the secondary restraint system to keep the camera close to you, and as streamlined as possible.

I would suggest that you check out some of the products from Innovative Scuba http://www.innovativescuba.com/

BTW, Dr. Jay...what type of Physician are you?

Cheers,
Crazy_J
:doctor:

I used to use one like CrazyJ shows. But the caribiner clip has this sort of hook at the top and my D-ring would get sort of hung up on it. I switched to one that has a simple brass clip...keep the spring well lubricated!

I do use the clip to keep the camera close to me when 1) my battery has died :eek: or 2) I'm out of card space or 3) conditions make it hard to take pictures and I turn the thing off.

Dr. Jay......
If I'm not using my strobe and tray, I have the counterweight attached. I'll loop the cord around the screw, between the weight and the housing, and tighten it down. That's worked so far.

Dee,

You need thicker D-Rings :wink: lol

Cheers,
Crazy_J
:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom