Attached hood v. Hooded vest, for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For monterey waters. Every part of my body is fine, except my arms. I was told it may be due to water trickling in from the neck (i use a fullsuit & a bibbed hood) and it makes sense b/c i feel a trickle.

I figure either a wetsuit w/ an attached hood or a Hooded vest over a fullsuit may take care of the problem. I'd like opinions from folks as to what is better.

Thanks.

I've just got a full hooded suit and I'm going to try it out in Monterey this weekend. It's Bare Alpine. I tried it at home and it fits perfectly. And was relatively easy to don/doff.

I dive in 50 ish water in Southern Cal. Had used a vest with attached hood over a 7 mil and now dive with a pinicle semi dry 7 mil with attached hood. I will take the hood attached to the wet suit any day over the hood attached to the vest.

I have the Bare 7mm Hodded step-in vest that I wear over my 7mm Arctic. it does a great job in cold water. VERY slow infiltration. When it gets warmer the 3mm hooded chicken vest goes underneath.

Pete

I had a similar problem, with my arms and hands being the only part of me cold. I did two things to help with this: bought some better gloves (yay!), and bought an O'Neill Gooru 2mm rashguard:
http://www.oneill.com/mens-products.php?sport=surf&categoryID=1&typeID=3&seriesID=4
The Gooru provided the extra level of insulation I needed through the arms and made me a little toastier throughout the body. I had difficulty finding the Gooru, but I think it's because they call it a surf item and I was between seasons. The '06 models might be out now.

This probably won't work out for you where you're at, but I found that with the Gooru on, I didn't need to use a full hood anymore and instead switched to one of those hoods that body boarders wear (that strap around the chin). I've had that gear into about 52 degree water for a short time, and it seemed just fine. A more average condition would be in about 55-58 degrees without problems.

Chavodel8en:
I figure either a wetsuit w/ an attached hood or a Hooded vest over a fullsuit may take care of the problem. I'd like opinions from folks as to what is better.

Wetsuit w/ attached hood will keep the trickles out better, also try wearing a rash top underneath to help keep your arms a bit warmer.

Thanks for the opinions & referral so far.

I was thinking maybe to just get the hooded vest, mainly b/c its a cheaper option & its easier to don/doff.

But it sounds like it may be worth it to go ahead & get the suit w/ attached hood & use my current set up for SoCal waters.

But please, more opinions if there are any.

Drysuit? LOL
How cold are you on your second dive? We have thumbed more than a few dives from being too cold. I am borderline wearing my shorty under my wetsuit. At some point I will be wearing a drysuit, and I wish I would have bought one instead of a wetsuit, yet the Pinnacle Polar is supposed to be one of the best.

Watch the fit, getting it right from the ankles to the top of your head is not an off the rack item for everyone. If it fits then it fits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom