Attached Hood on 7mm Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all the integrated suit makes getting a great that much harder since it's one garment from ankles to the top of your head. If you match the model great.

I happen to dive a Bare Arctic and use both the 3mm chicken vest with the 5mm hood (2004) and the 7mm hodded step-in shorty. I like being able to varry the weight of my hood along with my core warming layer. There have even been a few dives where I used the Arctic with just a Beanie. The hooded vests will provide essentially the same neck opening closure as the integrated suit without loosing lots of options.

Pete

giles45shop:
All,

Thanks for all the inputs, sounds like there are pros & cons both ways. The point about size of the attached hood to suit size was a good one, as well as getting into the suit. I'm probably looking for a lightly used suit, since I don't normally need a 7mm (Normal suit is a 5/4 Bare Velocity), so having an additional fitting point may be an issue.

Sounds like I would lean towards a non-attached hood, but I wouldn't rule out an attached one. I already have a 2mm hood, but probably need thicker for really cold water.

Thanks,

John

Have you coinsidered layering you Velocity with one of the hooded step-in shortys? They have 5mm and 7mm versions now.

I also have a 5/4 Velocity fulsuit an use it with all of the vests I mentioned above. Flexibility is nice.

spectrum:
First of all the integrated suit makes getting a great that much harder since it's one garment from ankles to the top of your head. If you match the model great.

I happen to dive a Bare Arctic and use both the 3mm chicken vest with the 5mm hood (2004) and the 7mm hodded step-in shorty. I like being able to varry the weight of my hood along with my core warming layer. There have even been a few dives where I used the Arctic with just a Beanie. The hooded vests will provide essentially the same neck opening closure as the integrated suit without loosing lots of options.

Pete
Do you wear both the chicken vest and the step-in at the same time? I've tried wearing two hooded garments at the same time and it was a bit clumsy.

I own a Bare Alpine hooded 7mm. Advantage is easy of entry and lack of water entry around your neck and back. The only disadvantage is a bit of water enters around the face seal when you turn your head far to any side.

Anytime you need a 7mm you need a hood.

FishDiver:
Do you wear both the chicken vest and the step-in at the same time? I've tried wearing two hooded garments at the same time and it was a bit clumsy.
No, one vest or the other.

Pete

I have an Xcel Polar Tri Density with integrated hood and I like it a lot. Minimal water intrusion and it fits me nicely. That being said, when you don't want the hood on your head, your only other option is to flip it off your head towards the back. Doing so makes the neck extremely tight and I find myself pulling the neck of the suit open to allow blood flow to my tiny brain. You would never be able to dive it that way. But off the coast of NH and Maine, i find a 7mm hood quite nice, even in the summer when the waters hit a balmy 60 degrees. Whatever you do make sure it fits good. I fill out my suit so well almost nothing can get in it -- including me!

spectrum:
Have you coinsidered layering you Velocity with one of the hooded step-in shortys? They have 5mm and 7mm versions now.

I also have a 5/4 Velocity fulsuit an use it with all of the vests I mentioned above. Flexibility is nice.

Actually I've thought about something similar, as I have a 2mm non-hooded shorty that I could layer, but would still need a hood. I'll take a look at the hooded step-ins.

Thanks,

John

I have 2 7mm wetsuits, both by O'Neill, one with attched hood. Here in SoCal, I have never gone without a hood, even in the summer. My primary suit with attached hood has an integrated 5mm vest, which for this time of year is good. During the "warmer" months I use my non-hooded suit with a 3mm hood. I guess it depends on your locale.

As others pointed out, if it's cold enough to need a 7mm suit, it's cold enough to need a hood, so you may as well have it integrated: IF IT FITS YOU.

Another point to consider, however, that I haven't seen mentioned: Integrated hoods are a lot easier to deal with just before and just after a dive.

A separate hood has to be put on before you can put on your BC and other gear, since you have to close your wetsuit over it. So you are standing there in a full wetsuit, on dry land, for some time while the rest of the buddies gear up. Separate hoods tend to not pull back quite as easily as integrated hoods. When you get out, the problem is reversed: I hate hoods and want them off asap, but I can't take it off until I am out of the water and can take off my BC, etc. so I can unzip my wetsuit and free my hood. Not necessarily a huge issue when it's cold out, but the extra time in warm weather wearing a full 7mm+hood really sucks.

CompuDude:
When you get out, the problem is reversed: I hate hoods and want them off asap, but I can't take it off until I am out of the water and can take off my BC, etc.

That's one of the things I love about the hooded step-in shorty. It has the cheek to thigh zipper. As soon as I'm ready to leave the water I can drop the zipper to my sternum strap, the hood falls away and my neckline is opened right up.

spectrum:
That's one of the things I love about the hooded step-in shorty. It has the cheek to thigh zipper. As soon as I'm ready to leave the water I can drop the zipper to my sternum strap, the hood falls away and my neckline is opened right up.
Yes, but they break rule #6. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom